Teacher's wardrobe - ProTeacher Community

studentteach

studentteach

Teacher's wardrobe
Old 08-11-2007, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be student teaching this fall semester and am a little unsure of what to wear. We were told to dress "professionally". I will be student teaching in 2nd grade. I am wondering if blouses with skirts and pump heels would be too dressy. My other thoughts are black pants with blazer type blouses. We have a student teacher orientation the first day of the semester before we meet our mentor teacher and kids, so I'm sure it'll be covered then. But I want to start getting my wardrobe ready. Also, what type of shoes would look professional but still be comfortable?

linny22

Old 08-11-2007, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would wear the black pants with blazer type blouses. If you want to wear skirts occassionally, then I would. I just finished student teaching in a second grade class and wore a lot of dress pants, button-down shirts and sweaters. I looked more professional than the staff. Since second graders are rambusctious, I would limit my wearing of heels if I were you (I love wearing them, but it's hell on the feet). Try a nice pair of flat, black, dress shoes. Their boring, but comfy.

teacher2

wardrobe
Old 08-11-2007, 01:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree with Linny, save the heels for special occasions. They would be good for back to school night. I teach 2nd grade and I wear slacks and a nice top most of the time. I wear comfortable, yet reasonably stylish shoes. I like shoes with a rubber sole if I can find them. I don't wear a lot of dresses or skirts because I am constantly bending over, squatting down, kneeling down, or sitting in a student size chair to help someone.
I like to wear a little jewelry, a necklace, small to medium earrings. Hoops always work, as long as they aren't too huge. A blazer sounds great, you can take it off when you feel like it.
There was an extensive thread about whether or not to wear make-up to work. I am one who does. If you are very young though, you could probably get away with a little mascara and lip gloss.
Best wishes to you.

teacher77

no pumps
Old 08-11-2007, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Word to the wise- make sure your feet are comfortable!! You can find dressy flats. Just look professional- I always love Anne Taylor Loft styles. Just remember- the students look up to you as a role model, so dress professionally. Save the "cool" clothes for the weekends.
lovingrd3

lovingrd3

teacher clothes
Old 08-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Suggestions on where to shop: Kohl's, JC Penny, Sears, Target, New York & Co. and yes, Burlington Coat Factory (I've gotten some really cute blouses there for cheap!)

I teach 3rd and find myself spending a lot of time down on the floor with the kids. However, that doesn't really affect the way I dress. I usually wear a skirt once a week. They always hit at about the knee length, some are longer. I always make sure I can sit down on the floor and be covered and comfortable. I like heels, especially with skirts. I don't wear really high heels, but I'm short so I do like a bit of a heel to prop me up! I loooove slingbacks and have found some great and cheap shoes at Payless and Target. I don't really have any sore feet to complain about. I also wear dress pants (black, brown, and tan) with any kinds of tops.

You're usually safe as long as you look nice, clean and professional, are covered appropriately (chest and legs) and comfortable, too!

WebJunkie

My Advice
Old 08-11-2007, 03:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I think you should try to dress as professionally as you can (lose the heels!!!)- maybe a nice dress sandal while its 130 degrees out still.... I think that if you are student teaching you should look more professional than most of the staff but not as professional as a board member. The principal has to view you as a professional and you will get a much better chance of getting a job where you student taught if you present yourself like one of the faculty members. While student teaching, I would stay away from capris, city shorts, blue jeans, etc. I would wear skirts and dress pants. Khaki's are ok I think as long as you dont wear a tshirt with them. I always wore Khaki's on Fridays (even though we were allowed to wear blue jeans with the rest of the faculty)- it was casual yet professional.

Lottalove

Comfortable shoes are the most important
Old 08-11-2007, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

to me--I wear slacks with a top of any kind and usually an over blouse either buttoned or left open like a jacket style. I wear Clark, Born and Aerosoles sandals and mules when it is warmer and flats and boots when it cools off.

I usually only wear skirts or dresses when we meet the parents--back to school night, open house, P-T conferences, that sort of thing--

Brooke S.

Dress
Old 08-11-2007, 04:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We are pretty casual at my school. I would look very out of place if I wore a blazer and nice slacks or a skirt with heels.

We wear capris, casual skirts with a nice shirt, etc. I normally wear sandals.

If I were you I would dress up a little on the first day and then look around and see what others are wearing. I would go with the style of the school.

bandmom

Misses vs. Juniors
Old 08-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I once asked the under 30 teachers in my building where they get their clothes, since they dress professionally. Two said their general rule of thumb is when in Kohls and Target, it's the misses department for school, the juniors department for weekends and going out. They said they couldn't get on board for Christopher & Banks, where us over 40's shop! The teachers with rich husbands wear stuff from Talbots, Ann Taylor, and Coldwater Creek.

MTBarbie

clothes
Old 08-11-2007, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think heels are fine for school, I wear them quite often. But... if you don't wear them quite often, start getting your feet ready for them and wear them all the time. They look great on casual Fridays with a nice shirt/blazer/jeans also! But, find some nice casual shoes also, like some cute sandals that aren't heels to wear with different outfit choices. I think your outfit that you plan on wearing sounds very professional.
REMEMBER: ALWAYS do the boobie test. Bend over and look in the mirror and make sure there is no cleavage showing. I taught at one school where a teacher showed way too much of her tatas and they finally had to ask her to stop. Mortifying!!!!
Get some: nice khaki pants, black pants, a cute jean skirt ( not above the knee too far), black tights, dress socks that match your pants for your casual shoes, some basic shirts that you can move around in easily, and anything you want to dress your clothes up with: cute sweaters, belts, jewelry, etc...
Go to the Gap or Old Navy website and they actually SHOW you suggestions on some way cute professiona outfits.
Good luck student teaching!

okteach

Old 08-11-2007, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have several teachers in my building who like to show their tatas as someone said and it is just gross!!! They are not even good looking tatas either. I hate it!

Niki

Old 08-11-2007, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

The first year I taught elementary school I wore skirts and uncomfortable shoes. I now wear comfortable slacks and nice shirts. I try to stay comfortable but also look professional. I also wear very comfortable shoes now. I wear flat sandles, loafers or brown or black shoes (they are almost like tennis shoes- I found them at Pay Less.) Sometimes when my building gets to hot -no air conditioning- I will wear skirts.) I would buy some clothes that you would like to wear and then see what most teachers are wearing where you work and get some more clothes after that so you fit in and are comfortable.

I usually find good deals at Pay Less, JcPenny's and Kohl's.

Good Luck- and remember it's okay to be Comfortable and professional.

Sometimes you might get marker or other school related items on your clothing so it is also a good idea to buy clothes that you can wash easily!

Niki

Beateach

Whatever you do...
Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

wear comfortable shoes. Take care of those feet! You'll be on them more than you think. Good luck with your student teaching!

GB

Dress
Old 08-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Dress nice casual with comfy shoes during the day and around the kids. Dress up nicer when there are parent events. That's what I like to do.