Student Survey - ProTeacher Community

Tmarie

Student Survey
Old 08-11-2007, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a new 5th grade teacher and I am looking for a student survey or a student inventory for the first day of school. Does anyone know where I can find one?

Tmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 08-11-2007, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome to 5th! There are a lot of variations out there on student interest surveys; I'm not sure which one I will use this year, either!

Here's an address for one I found on the internet:http://www.orange.k12.nj.us/InclManu...sionManual.pdf

I have one at school that is called, "Three About Me" or something like that, and the students list three things for each question (favorite TV show, favorite subjects, friends, books, etc.) They seem to like that b/c then they don't have to list just one.

A cute idea you can do w/ the surveys (after you've read them) is to put them in a "time capsule" until the end of the year. The kids will like to see them again and usually laugh about what they wrote in Sept.

Some good websites for ideas are:
www.busyteacherscafe.com
www.educationworld.com
www.ilovethatteachingidea.com

If you are just starting out, you might want to invest in a Mailbox Magazine yearbook (it collects good ideas from one year's worth of the magazine).
I guess you might just be new to 5th, and not a new teacher...in which case, you probably don't need all that advice!
tammynj is online now   Reply With Quote

Tmarie

Thanks for the Advice
Old 08-11-2007, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for all of your advice. I am a new teacher. I just graduated from college in May and most of my practice has been with younger grades. I am looking for all the ideas I can get! I'm going to check out the websites you gave me. Thanks again!!!
Tmarie is offline   Reply With Quote

tammynj

Old 08-11-2007, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No problem. I bet you will love 5th! It's a great age group.

I was just trying out a glyph idea and thought you might like it, too. (I just found the idea on a previous thread here at PT)
http://sciencespot.net/Media/Biochall.pdf
I just made one for myself, and showed my son, who, of course, had to make one of himself. He had fun w/ it and he's going into 7th, so the 5th graders should like it.

One good book to have as a new teacher is : The First Days of School (Harry Wong). Just for inspiration and/or ideas, you might want to read "Teach Like Your Hair is on Fire" (Rafe Esquith) and Ron Clark's "The Essential 55"

Okay, okay, I won't pester you anymore! Have a terrific year!

Last edited by tammynj; 08-11-2007 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: forgot to give glyph address!
tammynj is online now   Reply With Quote