How do I introduce myself to the class?? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

How do I introduce myself to the class??

>

teachnguate

How do I introduce myself to the class??
Old 08-12-2007, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am wondering how you introduce yourself to your students on the first day of school. I teach at an "American" school in another country and don't have any pictures with me to show them. Do you have any ideas that don't involve using pictures? Thanks!

teachnguate is offline   Reply With Quote

pinkjuice

Re: How do I introduce myself to the class??
Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Just tell them a little about you. A little Q and A from the kids will still be interesting. You are new and they've never met you! Ever!

Perhaps someone from home could email you some pictures if you feel you really want them?
pinkjuice is offline   Reply With Quote

heysarah18

Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One thing I do is write 5 facts about me on the board. One is not true. I have the kids guess which one is false, and then I get to further explain the other 4. They love it!
heysarah18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sharon D. W.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Me In A Bag

I have a shiny purple gift bag. (It was from a friend when she gave my husband and I a wedding gift.) I call this Our Discovery Bag. I use it to introduce what ever I need to share. I often ask the kiddos for guesses first just to see what they say and get their juices flowing. I often use it when I have to "introduce" scissors or using a glue stick etc to make it fun. On the first day I use as my Me in A Bag.

I put 4 to 6 things inside my bag to introduce myself. I try to only put one or two photos and the rest objects. This year I plan to put in :

- peppermint tea bag: This is what I like to drink.

- dog bone/treat: I have a 60 pound dog named Nanook

- Family photo from my father's retirement party last Summer in Nova Scotia ( I now live and teach in Manitoba) My parents came to visit us for the first time this Summer. (I have been away from my NS home for about 7 years now...) My husband and I only return to NS every other year.

- Brochure from my Dinner Theatre experience this Summer when I traveled to Winnipeg with my parents and my husband.

- I might also include a small stone I found while tenting this Summer with my husband and friends.

- A picture of someone inside Wall/Rock climbing - This is something I'd love to try someday. My goal is try it within the next year.

Include things that tells them a little something about you. Be creative. You could also have them do this with a lunch bag or give them a photocopy of a school bag design on paper and have them draw or cut out of a magazine things for their own Me In A Bag project. It would make a cute BB.

sdwl
Sharon D. W. is offline   Reply With Quote

mshicks

Old 08-13-2007, 02:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do somethign similar to Sharon. I bring a few items in a box. Each item is symbolic of one of my hobbies/likes etc. For example, I put in a CD because I like to listen to music, a fake cell phone because I like to talk on the phone, my journal because I like to write etc. I also include a few family photos.

mshicks is offline   Reply With Quote

KellyTeachTX

Old 08-13-2007, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do a True/False activity with my kiddos...they decide if the sentence is TRUE or FALSE about me, and then I tell them the answer and expound on the details a little bit.

Then, they do their OWN true/false and trade with a classmate --- great way to get to know ME and each other...

You can see a copy of my True/False here http://www.teacherweb.com/TX/Frontier/Buck
Just click on Documents and Photos in the left navigation bar...Once there, the T/F page is the first one on the list. I still have to update it, but you can get the idea.

Kelly

KellyTeachTX is offline   Reply With Quote

hamblinhaw

Old 08-13-2007, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Great class web page. I love the picture of you dog! I have a doxie too! I'm in Channelview too!
hamblinhaw is offline   Reply With Quote

jenstro

Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I do a KWL graphic organizer with my kids. I ask them to think about what they already know about me (K) and what they want to learn(W). Then I share a poster (similar to the gift bag mentioned earlier) that I made with tons of things I like that I clipped from magazines. Then they fill in the (L) with things they've learned about me!
They get to learn all about me and I get to see what their organization/writing skills are like.
jenstro is offline   Reply With Quote

tchgrd2

Old 08-15-2007, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also do a T/F activity but mine isn't written down. I tell the students a statement about myself and let them all decide if it is T/F. Then I tell them the correct answer and if possible show them pictures of what I was discussing.
tchgrd2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnguate

Old 08-18-2007, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas! They really helped, and now I know what to do on Monday.
teachnguate is offline   Reply With Quote