Help

ARCHIVE

chrysanthemum activity

>

read2learn

chrysanthemum activity
Old 08-13-2007, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm not sure who I read this from on here or where...but I remember reading about a community activity with the book Chrysanthemum. The kids would make flowers with their names using the petals for each letter??? I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a template or a way to make the flowers for the kids...or do they make them??? thanks for your help

read2learn is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteacher

Re: chrysanthemum activity
Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh- I started to post a reply before I finished reading the OP! The Chrysantemum activity I was thinking of is where you trace her from the book, then enlarge on the copier- then make a copy for each child. They color it and can cut it out if they want. Then you read the book aloud and have them tear off a piece every time they hear someone say something mean. I had mine try to put the pieces back together again last year. It lead to a great discussion about how much it can hurt our feelings when someone says something mean or unkind. My kids really enjoyed it- wish I could claim credit for it but I got it from here last summer!
NCteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-13-2007, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am not familiar with that activity, but I have used the book for 6 years. After I read it I give every student a post-it note for each letter of their name. They write a letter per post-it note and we put it on the board in a graph. We do a whole graphing activity of questions around the graph we create. I just make up the questions as we go along and I even let them make up some questions.
teachnkids is online now   Reply With Quote

camp-n-teach

Old 08-13-2007, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did this activity last year with my first graders and they loved it!! We stuck the finished flowers in a piece of florist foam, put it in a flower pot and left it in the window sill all year.
I gave each child a yellow circle so they would all be the same size. THey wrote their name in the middle of the circle. Then each child cut out a pink petal for each letter in their name and glued them around the circle. Then, to make the stem, each child got a popsicle stick for every syllable in thier name. They glued them together(or you can tape them). So kids with lots of syllables had taller flowers. Next they glued the flower to the top of the stem and to finish it off each child cut out and attached a green leaf for every vowel letter in thier name. It was so much fun to compare our flowers and discuss the similarites and differences.
Have a great year!
camp-n-teach is offline   Reply With Quote