Help

ARCHIVE

5 star sentence

>

snowwhite

5 star sentence
Old 08-13-2007, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In the archive I saw a post about a teacher who used whats called a 5 star sentence. IT sounds like a great idea and was wondering if anyone has a template for this. Or have done a similar thing

snowwhite is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2teach77

Re: 5 star sentence
Old 08-14-2007, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think the post in the archives you're referring to is mine. I've been doing the 5 star sentences for several years now. It's an idea I got at a teaching seminar I attended. I don't have a template to attach but it's something you could easily make. Basically it's just a skinny packet (divide a piece of paper into fourths, and that's the size I'm describing). The cover says "Be a 5 Star Writer" and has a spot for their name, so that's something you could easily type up. Then each page behind the cover looks the same. There are 5 stars across the top with the 5 traits that each sentence should have written inside them (Capitalization, Punctuation, Spaces, Letter Formation, and Spelling). Then there's a long line under the 5 stars for your students to write their sentence.

I hope this helps!
Debbie
luv2teach77 is offline   Reply With Quote

snowwhite

Old 08-14-2007, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hello!
Yes it was your post!!! Thank you for getting back to me!!! Is the paper folded long ways. So you have 4 strips basically? Also the stars on the top how do you make those?
Do you dictate the sentence everytime to the kids?

luv2teach77

Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, you do fold the paper the long way...so with the cover and then a page for each day of the week, each packet would be 6 pages stapled together.

I didn't make the one I use, it actually came from a book that I bought at the seminar I attended, but I'm sure if you looked for a clipart star that didn't have anything in the middle...just the outline of a star and then you could type in or hand write in the 5 star traits. You could even draw a star and then write in the middle the trait. The star outlines at the top of the pages I use are fairly small.

I do always dictate the sentences to my students. I try to give them sentences using their spelling words or things we've been working on recently in grammar. I remind them frequently before giving them the sentence to be careful to check for the 5 star points. I really like this activity because it only takes a few minutes a day and it's great sentence writing practice. My students are always anxious to see the next day if they got all 5 stars or not.

I hope you're able to make sense of my explanations and put something like this together for your students. If you need any other help, just let me know!

Deb
luv2teach77 is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

Old 08-14-2007, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I also recently posted about the 5 star sentences. I wonder if we went to the same seminar? I don't know about folding a paper, but I do use the concept. I put 5 stars on the wall (from the party store) and have them labeled with "Capital, Spaces, Handwriting, Spelling, and Punctuation)
Then I have paper with the same format at the top. Lines are below for their sentence. They are supposed to color in the stars when they have checked their sentence for that component.
As the year progresses we constantly talk about the 5 stars ("Oh, that's a good four star sentence." is all I have to say to get them to think about that period that somehow never makes it to the end!)
I even added the stars to our spelling dictation sentences and we post the papers with 5 stars on our Star board.
I also shrink the stars down and put them on homework papers and various writing paper. It's fun for the kids and it's a great way to reinforces self-editing.
I am attaching the large version of what I do. It's not perfect and I'm sure there is an easier way to do it, but this is what I have for now. I was thinking of getting a stamp with 5 stars on it, but haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Attached Files
File Type: doc 5 stars.doc (23.5 KB, 624 views)
kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

snowwhite

Old 08-14-2007, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks so much ladies. Great ideas!!!!

msdw

5-Star Sentence Writing
Old 10-11-2008, 02:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I wonder if anyone has tried Daily Sentence Writing (to teach sentence structure, punctuation, etc.) using sentences that are the children's own sentences, so the writing is more authentic and original--no copying!? I once heard Donna Gordon suggest this at a workshop and it resonated for me. I have tried it, and once the kids get the hang of it, it s quite good. I posted a prompt, such as "List your three favorite flavors of ice cream." if I was working on commas in a series.
msdw is offline   Reply With Quote

CageyBee

Old 10-11-2008, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Great ideas...can't wait to implement some!
CageyBee is offline   Reply With Quote