Help

ARCHIVE

Service Club Ideas

>

PEPteach

Service Club Ideas
Old 08-14-2007, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Another teacher and I are starting a Random Acts of Kindness club. (Thanks to the idea of another proteacher!) We're trying to brainstorm some easy service projects for our kids. They would be 3rd and 4th graders. We've thought of making cards for custodians/office staff, raising money for a good cause, etc. We'd really like to get them involved in the community. Any ideas would be great!

PEPteach is offline   Reply With Quote

mary.lu

Re: Service Club Ideas
Old 08-14-2007, 05:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not sure if this is would be the kind of thing you are looking for, but it has been in the news lately how many water bottles get thrown away each year and not recycled. I know at my school a lot of kids bring a water bottle every day, but since there is no place to recycle them they just get thrown in the trash. So, your club could look into getting recycling containers and get that started at your school. Maybe the city could even help out. I was going to propose this to our student council. Here's an article about the problem:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5279230/
mary.lu is offline   Reply With Quote

lexteacher

Old 08-14-2007, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'd say recycling of any sort would be of service to the school. I know you can earn money using recycled soda cans, but I don't know much about it. Our service club made care packages for all the teachers (students brough in donations of stuff) for teacher appreciation with pens, highlighters, notepads, post-its, chocolate, etc.

One thing that you could do that would be really neat (our service club did this) is to write to soldiers and send care packages to them in the Middle East. They say that they appreciate these acts of kindness so much and that even the smallest thing (like a pack of gum) is greatly appreciated. Just a few ideas.

I love the idea of writing thank you's to the custodians. My class is going to do this during this year. But a great thing for Service Club to do.

Good luck!
lexteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
bellringer

bellringer

Old 08-14-2007, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I saw your post, I just had to respond. This year I decided to have my 2nd graders have a monthly service project. We may collect items or money to be donated to (mostly) local causes. I debated as to how to give my students "ownership" in the collection, rather than just having Mom/Dad purchase the item. I decided to ask the parents to have the child "earn" the item or the money, maybe by performing an extra chore. Here is what I have come up with so far:

Possible items to collect: (have students “work” at home to earn the item)
shoes
books
pencils
crayons
toothpaste/toothbrushes
soup
socks
soap
toys
stuffed animals
mittens
peanut butter (peanut butter month)
pasta (pasta month)
gift baskets for seniors
shampoo
lotion

Raise money for:
Heifer Project “Read to Feed”
Compassionate Friends “Walk to Remember”

Donate items to:
local Children's Hospital
local homeless shelters
Food Bank
Ronald McDonald House
YWCA
Humane Society
Hospice
Habitat for Humanity
servicemen
Operation Christmas Child (shoe-box) through Samaritan’s Purse
shoe recycling project of Nike

Do:
clean up playground

Schedule:
September shoes
October pasta/popcorn
November peanut butter (peanut butter lovers’ month)
December Operation Christmas Child/ mittens
January soup (soup-er bowl/football super bowl)
February toothpaste (dental health month)
March (nutrition)
April environment clean-up
May (Older Americans Month)

fourselfs

Old 08-14-2007, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our school is part of a service learning program. We receive grant money to fund these learning experience. First let me explain how this grant program works. You take a subject you would typically learn about on your grade level and add a hands-on community spin to it. Some of the things our school has done are:

Year before last: Kindergarten was learning about different countries around the world. One of the teachers learned of a school in Guatamala that was in desparate need of school supplies. The K-kids made cute boxes to put around the different campuses and around town for people to donate school supplies. They put on a cute program to encourage all the kids to donate things to the boxes. They sent supplies to Guatamala three different times.

2nd grade - plant unit - we did a unit on plants and each child planted a tulip and a few extra. We have a lonetime teacher who has MS and so we took the 8 extra pots that we had and raffled them off. The money we raised went to the MS Foundation. We sold the tickets for a dollar a piece, but people would give the kids $20's, $10's and so on just because the wanted to. It was a powerful lesson in community spirit. In 4 days we collect $1200 for our tulip raffel. As a finale to our project we participated in a walk-a-thon for MS and presented our check to the foundation.

4th graders - writing - wrote letters to senior citizens in our community for about 5 months - then invited them to a luncheon in the classroom at the end of school.

Kindergarten last year - Alex's Lemonade Stand. I am not sure how they use this for teaching but it is such a great cause. So I don't have to explain it all I will put the website http://www.alexslemonade.org/
It is such a touching story that when I read the book to my students in 3rd I cried.

3rd grade - plants and insects. This last year we did a unit on the connections between plants and insects. We focused on native plants and butterflies. We grew plants that would feed the caterpillars and then plants that would attract the butterflies onced they emerged. One of our banks had torn down an old building and was creating a small garden in its place and we asked to part of this project. We took our plants and created a community butterfly garden for everyone to enjoy. It made the students so proud to have put something out in the community that everyone could enjoy and that they knew so much about. A geniun learning experience.

These are just a few of the things that our school has done. I have a book at school that has tons of ideas in it. I will try and get it and post the name of the book for you.

Good luck.

fourselfs is offline   Reply With Quote

sw

Old 08-15-2007, 08:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I recently started a Builder's Club in our middle school. Some of the projects that we did last year include:

Brought pet supplies for the local animal shelter
Canned food drive at Thanksgiving and Christmas
Decorated a Christmas tree with new gloves, toboggans, and scarves
which we gave to an elementary school for needy children
Collected canned drink tabs which are used to pay for Ronald McDonald
house for needy families
Teacher appreciation in March
School beautification in April (planted flowers, cleaned up, weeded,
etc.)
Used book drive--can be used for the classrooms or to give to
children who don't have books at home
sw is offline   Reply With Quote

mshicks

Old 08-15-2007, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Last year my class adopted a child for the holidays. We did an economics unit that involved us making crafts and selling them at school. We used our profit to buy gifts for a less fortunate child.
mshicks is offline   Reply With Quote