Help

Gifted Education

thoughts please

>

Marji

thoughts please
Old 06-21-2015, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello, I teach at a small private school (270 kids), and we are looking at starting a gifted and talented program. We service our lower children quite well, and want to do the same for our gifted and talented children too. The thing is I, nor my principal have ever taught at a school where such a program was part of the system so we are at a loss as where to begin. I've contacted several principals at the public school, but only one of them got back to me, so that is something to keep working on. I will be taking a few gifted courses this summer too. I have been doing extensive research in trying to figure this out, and have some ideas about which testing to use, but would love any input you all might have to offer for any aspect of a G/T program. We know that this will be a progress in work, but want to make sure we cover all of the bases. Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Marji is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I were in your shoes, this is where I would begin:

Contact your state's department of education and find out what the regulations are in your state for gifted identification criteria and program requirements. Many states have no regulations but some do. If yours does, you will have to decide whether you want to follow their regs or create your own (I am assuming, as a private school, you would not be legally required to follow the state regs, but it would be helpful to know what they are).

Decide how you are going to determine eligibility for your program. Is it going to be an intellectually gifted program, based on IQ, or an academically gifted program based on school performance? If you will rely on IQ, who will administer those tests? How will that testing be funded? How will you deal with parents who want their child in your gifted program, but the child does not meet your eligibility criteria?

How will the program be structured (self-contained, inclusion, or pull-out)? What will the goals of the program be (test prep, project-based learning, creative problem solving, in-depth units of study)? How will you evaluate and assess whether the program, and the students, are successful at meeting the goals?

In some of the previous posts, I linked some helpful websites for gifted resources that may be helpful for you. Also, instead of trying to contact principals, I would contact the public schools' central office and find out if there is a district level gifted coordinator who could answer your questions. In my district, the principals have very little knowledge or information about the gifted program.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Marji

Old 06-24-2015, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for the great advice, and the guiding questions. We have worked out some of these things, but it is very helpful to see what direction we need to go. I will look for your previous posts. Again, thank you so much for your help.

crazy4ku

Good source
Old 07-09-2015, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm a K-5 GT Coordinator/Teacher in Texas & this link was recently sent to me. It may have something that you would find beneficial. Best of luck to you!

http://www.texasgtresource.org/
crazy4ku is offline   Reply With Quote

Marji

Thank you!
Old 07-11-2015, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is a wonderful resource, thank you so much for taking the time to share the site information. Enjoy your summer.

asnmdirteha

Old 05-15-2017, 02:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

A great website we use at our after school program is called Beestar. They have a section for GT students and the entire section is dedicated for students that are or will be in GT programs. Also it helps them with studying on the tests and a lot of focus on spatial and pattern thinking questions.
asnmdirteha is offline   Reply With Quote