Behavior Chart--handmade - ProTeacher Community

Sue/8

Behavior Chart--handmade
Old 08-17-2007, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for a new behavior chart that I can make. I have the cards in the pocket chart which are too small. Last year I used cut-out frogs with a magnet strip on them and had the students move them to green, yellow or red (I had a frog theme last year). I'm looking for something that I can make and is relatively inexpensive. A teacher in my school is using McDonald's fry boxes with clothespins for behavior (put a clothespin in the box--if all three are in there, it means red). I don't want to copy this idea but was wondering if anyone had any cute/inexpensive ideas. Thanks!

Sue/8 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherMeg

Old 08-17-2007, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Some ideas I have seen:

*Traffic Light- kids move their clothes pin from red to yellow to green

* Cut out steps from card board (as many as you want). Each kid has a shoe. If they do something wrong they have to move their shoe up a step and then have the corresponding consequence (I thought this was so cute last year when I head this teacher tell a child to "move their shoe."

* Three lily pads and lady bugs. Kids have to move their lady bug ( the teacher I saw called it moving their dot) when they do somethng wrong.

* Color coded cups (Green, yellow, orange, blue, red.) Each child has their name on a posicle stick. Everybody starts in the green cup and then moves their stick to the next color cup if they get in trouble.

* I have also done a card system by using library card pockets and gluing them to a big poster board. Each kid has a green, yellow, blue, and red card (I used colored index cards). They must pull a card when they do something wronf.
TeacherMeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 08-17-2007, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Carson Dellosa has a cute traffic light poster that I use with my behavior chart. It is only 2 dollars. I use popsicle sticks (have done magnets on a metal door, add velcro to stick and colored felt to poster, used a library pocket to hold the sticks. I have a page they take home each week to show parents their daily behavior charts.

I have also seen a teacher use cubes. They start with three each morning. They turn one in if they are spoken too,etc.

I have seen cars on a board with three streets. They change streets as they go. Each street had a cte little name. Way to Go Alley was the first but I cant remember the other two.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

Terri in NC

teachermeg
Old 08-17-2007, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the stair and shoe idea. Can you explain more about the steps? Are they 3-D? I am wanting a new idea too! In the past I used a star board. Each child had their name on a star and the star would drop for bad behavior. When the star reached the third line they would go to the princiapl or call home. You can have as many lines as you wanted. I preferred three.

Lilacs- I like the street idea too. Is each street different? For example, was the first street straight and the second one curvy and so ns?

Last edited by Terri in NC; 08-17-2007 at 05:34 PM..
Terri in NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 08-18-2007, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That teacher just had three straight roads because she needed a lot of room for all the kids cars. But different roads would be more attractive. She had the kids make their own cars by using a glyph code. (Ex. The color of the car matched an activity that the child liked to do, two door/four doors, etc.)

Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

KarinT

I have seen
Old 08-18-2007, 11:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

a teacher use sail boats and water lines. She titled it "Don't Sink Your Boat!" There were four different levels corresponding to levels of behavior.
KarinT is online now   Reply With Quote

Terri in NC

KarenT
Old 08-18-2007, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Were the levels named?
Terri in NC is offline   Reply With Quote

danilynn

can you tell me more about the sailboat theme
Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi Karin,

I was thinking of switching my traffic light to a boat theme. Can you tell me more about how to set up the water lines, etc. Are there any pics of it?

Thanks so much,
Danielle
danilynn is offline   Reply With Quote

danilynn

Street names?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi Lilacs,

I already do a traffic light with clothespin cars and was thinking I could switch it up a bit with this. Are there any pics of this set up? How would I configure it? Can you remember any other names of the streets? Sorry so many questions, just trying to visualize this in my mind.

Thanks,
Danielle
danilynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Beth

Beth

discipline chart
Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I used an ice cream cone with different scoops on it everyone started on the top scoop the next one down was labeled 'warning' the next labeled 'time out' the next labeled 'note home' and the last labeled 'principal's office'. It was a cute and colorful way I just used clothespins with the students name on them. I labeled it 'what's the scoop on your day'

hmccourtie

Bee-havior plan....
Old 06-18-2008, 01:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I use a system similar to the card pulling system, except it uses wide craft sticks with the cheap little colored stickers on them. Also, my system works more in a positive manner than a negative one. I've done this for kindergarten, and for my current 2-3-4 grade class, and it is very successful, especially because I have the student turns their sticks themselves.

Here's how it works.

Every child has a pocket with their name on it. In each pocket is a stick and on each stick's end is a different colored sticker (red, green, blue, yellow). Students start off on a green stick everyday, (which means a good day). If they are caught on task, making good choices again, I tell them to change their stick to blue (great day). If they keep at it and do well, I tell them to change their stick to yellow (excellent day). Any time during the day, if they mess around or get off task, be disrespectful, etc, I tell them to change their stick to red (warning). The student will owe me time during recess or lunch for their behavior. But, they get to change their sticks back up to green and move up again. If a kid is really messing around, I remove their stick altogether and contact their parent.

This system has worked so well. It is a walk of shame to have to get up in front of other students and change their stick to red. On the other hand, once they see one student change their stick to yellow, they all aim on the same behavior. Oh, one more thing...every kid who ends the day on a yellow gets a yellow ticket to put in the class jar to draw for prizes on Fridays. It's a great incentive.

I had a hard class this year, and they responded well. Even the parents were understanding and knew that unless the behavior was repeated or consistent, I wouldn't have to call them and talk to them about it. They really liked how the kids had a chance to redeem themselves after one mistake (get to move back to green) instead of being penalized the whole day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg behavior.JPG (107.1 KB, 173 views)
hmccourtie is offline   Reply With Quote