Responsive Classroom - Hopes and dreams... - ProTeacher Community

badabing

Responsive Classroom - Hopes and dreams...
Old 08-19-2007, 08:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

When do you do the hopes and dreams lesson in your responsive classroom?

I know in the First Six Weeks book it says to wait until day three. However, day three for us is Friday since we start on Wednesday.

I'm so scared about starting this in my room...I am moving from the card flipping thing where I introduced the rules and consequences on the first day. I am also very excited, though!

When do you introduce logical consequences? I am so afraid to wait until the second week to introduce these in case I will need them before that time!

Do the rules have to come before the logical consequences?

Does anyone who uses RC have their lesson plans for the first day or first few days? I would be very interested to see what you do.

Also, is there anyone who has been through the training that would be willing to critique my own plans?

THANK YOU!!!

badabing is offline   Reply With Quote

malibudrea

Responsive Classroom
Old 08-19-2007, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi!

I just finished the weeklong RC1 training last week and I definitely recommend that you go to this next summer. It is extremely worth it and would answer all of your questions.

First, I want to say, slow down and take a deep breath. Anything new is scary but with responsive classroom it is something exciting to look forward to. This will be my first year implementing it full-time and I can't wait. I have the same schedule as you. We begin on Wednesday with a 1/2 day, the week before Labor Day.

At the workshop, we watched RC's video "The First Day of School." It showed the teacher giving the students (3rd graders) their first homework assignment to do with her in school, which was their Hopes and Dreams assignment. What I'm thinking of doing, is doing the same thing, but then sending home a copy of their assignment for them to go over with their parents and add/change anything they want.

If you haven't finished reading The First Six Weeks book, keep going. I believe you don't introduce logical consequences until after you make the rules with your students. Focus your rules on just a few. In fact, they mentioned just three - Treat yourself with respect, Treat everyone around you with respect, Treat your environment with respect. You can discuss with your class what rules would go in these categories, but have these as the rules. I have used the card system too, and I can't wait to get rid of it. I feel it does nothing to teach kids the right way to behave.

As for your plans, keep everything simple. Don't overwhelm the kids, and don't be afraid that you're not teaching regular lessons. Follow the guidelines for each week in The First Six Weeks book as your script. That's what I'm going to do and after this year, I'll tweak it if I want to. Good luck and we'll get through it! It'll pay off for the rest of the year!
malibudrea is offline   Reply With Quote