Starrla - Read A Thon - ProTeacher Community

dolmansaxlil

Starrla - Read A Thon
Old 08-19-2007, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here are the ideas for activities that we passed along to our teachers. Hope you can use some of them!

Read-a-thon Ideas for Primary:

Shared Reading – revisit favourite poems, chants, charts. Read chorally – divide into ‘parts’ – girls, boys, loud voices, soft voices, high/low voices, etc.

Big books – revisit favourites, rewrite a class version of a favourite and illustrate. Create masks of characters from big books and act out.

Do a mini-author study. i.e. “ A Bunch of Munsch”, “Jan Brett”, Jillian Jiggs Giggles (Phoebe Gilman) – read 1 or 2 picture books from the chosen author during each block as a read-aloud. Write a letter to the author about the class favourite. Do a dramatization of the story. Create paper bag puppets of the characters – have students do a retell in small groups using puppets.

Buddy reading – students to buddy with older students. Share favourite books. Read aloud to buddy. Buddy to read to your students.

Cut out a footprint for each book read during read-a-thon. Include title and author. See if class/division can ‘walk’ from back door to front door.

Create and colour bookmarks, recommending favourite books/stories/authors.

Suggestion for Read-A-Thon day for Junior Classrooms

Students bring a pillow, stuffed animal and your favourite book. Read their favourite picture book/section of their favourite novel to a friend/small group of friends. (this can last as short or long as interest allows).

Novel in an hour {or 100 minutes)—
Part 1 (20-30 minutes) give each small group of students (4-5) a section of a book to read (1 or 2 chapters). They write/discuss a brief summary (2-4 sentences)

Part 2 (20-40 minutes) The group decides how they will present their section of the story to the class. Brainstorm ideas – skit, written summary that will be read to class, song, puppet show, etc. Give students time to prepare their presentation.

Part 3 (20-30 minutes) Present the sections of the story in order.

Act out a picture book using tableau.
Buddy up with another class, read with your buddies.
Paint your favourite scene.
Brainstorm characters from well known fairy tales/nursery rhymes—play charades with those characters.
Archie and Dale Poem (Verses are mixed up, try to put them in order as a class)
Design your own bookmark ( suggested slogans for bookmarks found on attached page)
Draw a 4 panel comic strip for their favourite story or chapter (no words),
cut out the four sections, exchange with a partner and have them try to put it in order. Discuss the results with a partner

A selection of slogans which could be used on bookmarks:

Time for reading
Reading is the next best thing to ....
Switch on to reading
I'm a bookworm
Sssh! I'm reading
Dive into a book
I'm out of this world - I'm reading!
Enter a different world - read!
Enjoy a book- get reading!
I've got my head in a book
Have you chosen a good book?
R is for reading
54321 READ!
Ready, steady, READ!
Reading is fun!
I heart reading!
Reading is cool!
Reading forever!
I heart 2 read!
I support reading united!
Sport for eyes- reading!
Make friends with a book!
What's inside your book?
Born to read
I'm off to see the world - read!
I'm on safari - read!
Travel to the stars - read!
I'm ready for reading!
Feast your eyes on a good book!
On your marks, get set, READ!

Suggestion for Read-A-Thon day for Intermediate Classrooms

1. Dress in comfortable clothes, and bring a blanket and/or pillow. Push back the desks and allow students to lounge and read whatever interests them. It can be a novel, comic book, graphic novel, or magazine – as long as they’re reading! This can go on for as long as interest allows.

2. Novel in an Hour (100 minutes)

Part 1 (20-30 minutes) give each small group of students (4-5) a section of a book to read (1 or 2 chapters). They write/discuss a brief summary (2-4 sentences)

Part 2 (20-40 minutes) The group decides how they will present their section of the story to the class. Brainstorm ideas – skit, written summary that will be read to class, song, puppet show, etc. Give students time to prepare their presentation.

Part 3 (20-30 minutes) Present the sections of the story in order.

3. Reader’s Theatre (whole class or small groups) If using small groups, these could be prepared separately and then presented at the end of a set amount of time.

4. Casting call – choose a short story that you enjoy to read out loud to the class. Divide students into groups of 5-6 and have them do a proposal to turn the short story into a film. The proposal could include which actors they would want playing each role, where they would film, and a “storyboard” of important scenes that would need to be shot for the film. Present to the whole class.

5. Have each student bring in a favourite picture book that they remember from when they were younger. Partner with a primary class and share the story.

6. Who am I? – Prepare cards ahead of time with characters from books that the students would know. Tape a card to each student’s forehead, so they can’t see which character they are. The other student will ask them questions or tell them something one thing about themselves to help them to figure out who they are. e.g. a student may tell “Little Red Riding Hood” that it’s dangerous to talk to strangers. Another student may ask “Little Red Riding Hood” what she has in her basket.

7. Book Talk – in a community circle, give each student a book that they have probably not read. Give them 5-10 minutes to preview the book by looking at the author, title, back cover, and perhaps reading a few pages. The student would then present the book to the class, talking about the genre, who might find it interesting, what they predict the story may be about, etc.

dolmansaxlil is offline   Reply With Quote