Help

Intervention & Title I Services

I want to help but don't know how

>

celintx55

I want to help but don't know how
Old 08-08-2015, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach at a title 1 school. I am a second year teacher. I have noticed that one of my student's clothes do not fit properly. His pants are always high-watered or too big to where they are always falling off (no belt), and some of his long sleeve shirts fit him more like 3/4 sleeves (I'm in south Texas...aka hot as he-ll!) He says his grandma gave him a hair cut, which was very noticeable. I know they are on government assistance...anyway..I wanted to gather some clothes that would fit (and also weather appropriate) to give to him but how do you go about offering without offending? I really want to help this child.

celintx55 is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

My district
Old 08-09-2015, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

has a program through a charity group that takes kids shopping for clothes at various times during the year. Ask your counselor, principal, or secretary if there is such a program and get the child signed up.

If there isn't, you might arrange with one of the above to tell the child and family that there is a small donated school fund for such and he is selected. He gets to go shopping with a budget of $X for school clothes with a parent and his teacher. They you can go and pay.

I'm suggesting this as a round about way to do it because some families will be very embarrassed, some will be grateful, some will be demanding more. If it is a program, you won't have to deal so much with the emotions being directed at you as the donor since the "donor" is anonymous.

Also if the child has siblings, this could get sticky in terms of the other children.

You might consider checking Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. for shopping as you can get much more and often quite good clothing for much less.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

P.s.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You may get more answers posting this on the Busy Board. There is not a lot of traffic on this board, unfortunately.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsWok

Old 09-26-2015, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That's a very difficult situation. I worked in one school where the teachers got in A LOT of trouble for distributing clothes to students. They needed it but still administrators and other teachers were not happy that it was happening. It's hard to know whether someone will take offense. This was in a wealthy district and neighborhood.

On the contrary, I worked in a very poor school last year. We had students who came to school smelling and not clothed properly. Some teachers would send home school supplies and clothing/shoes. Nobody said anything and the kids loved it.

Perhaps you can talk to an administrator. If they do not approve of you personally handing things out, you may want to talk to somebody about setting up a "backpack program." My last school did that. Parents received letters asking if they would like to participate. If they said yes, then the school would send home a numbered backpack with food and clothes once a week. Maybe there is something like that that the school can work towards.

I hope this helps. You are so kind to be thinking of that student.
MrsWok is offline   Reply With Quote