Help

ARCHIVE

Harcourt Trophies--decodable books

>

Zee

Harcourt Trophies--decodable books
Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone use the take-home decodable books for the Harcourt Trophies series?

In the past our grade-level has sent them home asking that the kids read them aloud to a parent and then they have to return a paper saying they read it aloud 2 times. The books we sent home were books we read/discussed during guided reading. However, this is a lot of paper and time to get these ready 2 times a week (for the kids who are not reading on grade level). I honestly don't know how much it really helped to send them home.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Zee is offline   Reply With Quote

ee

Harcourt
Old 08-21-2007, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am using an older version of the Harcourt series and I also am getting tired of all of the paper use and running of the take home books. This year I am going to make the books and attach a note asking that the parents sign the note and return the books. Hopefully next year I won't have to run the books. I have a few that I already have been told won't bring anything back. I'll give them a few chances and then I will find someone else to act as that extra practice person so they get the practice they need. Of course if any parents really feel thay would like to keep the books, I will let them. I just hate to waste so much time and paper.
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

Old 08-21-2007, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's a good idea to try to reuse them. I may do this too. Any ideas for storage?

ee

storage
Old 08-22-2007, 01:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm hoping to empty a file drawer. If that doesn't happen I will use plastic tubs that are a little bigger than shoe boxes. I should be able to get all of the books for 1 Theme in 1 tub and pile them under a table.
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

rockingbarbie

low level
Old 08-22-2007, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I really felt these books were below most of my students reading level. (maybe I just had a good year) I was also given books that go along with each story that are paperbacks and in color I have 3 different levels of these for each story and about 6 of each level. I have found it hard to keep all that organized. Lots of books

rockingbarbie is offline   Reply With Quote

ArizonaPepe

Old 08-29-2007, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use the take-home books on a regular basis especially for those kids who are on grade level or below. Mon.-Thurs. each reading group reads a different book (i.e. selection in the hard bound book, leveled book, and take-home book) On these days the students then take that book home to read and bring it back the next day. We have our kids quite well trained to bring them back. If they don't bring it they can't take the next book home. I make copies of the take-home books and they are expected to bring these back too. They may be a bit easy for some of the kids but they are great for building fluency. If the story is short they can even take two of them. We put the books in a zip lock bag and when I was teaching 1st grade they were still in good shape after five years! Hope this was helpful!
ArizonaPepe is offline   Reply With Quote

MaryRuth

Old 08-29-2007, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I always had trouble keeping the books organized. There are so many of them. We stopped running the decodables. It was taking up too much paper. I liked them. My kids enjoyed reading them to their parents.
MaryRuth is offline   Reply With Quote

Jewly

printable?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Our school has limited funds and I was unable to get the hard copies for these books. Does anyone know of a link where I could possible print them out? Thanks!!
Jewly is offline   Reply With Quote

Zee

printables...
Old 09-02-2007, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't know of anywhere that you can print them. We have hard copies and then we are able to copy from the take-home decodable book.