Guiding Readers and Writers (Fountas/Pinnell) - ProTeacher Community

Candace

Candace

Guiding Readers and Writers (Fountas/Pinnell)
Old 08-23-2007, 04:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After reading the suggestions of many on this board and others, I
ordered and received my copy today. YIKES...it is so
overwhelming....I don't even know where to start yet I am
so excited to do so! I would like to set up my classroom
using this model, but I don't think I will have time since
we start school next week.

So, what chapters did you find most helpful? Do you use
all the practices in this book in your classroom? What do
you use, what don't you use? I know someone mentioned
chapter 9 is particularly helpful for setting up the first
20 days of reading. Perhaps I should start there?

As you can see, I am eager to start this program in my
classroom, yet a bit overwhelmed at the same time. Any
tips you can offer will be valued!

dogs

Old 08-23-2007, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This will be my first year using it. I agree it is a lot to take in so this is what I have decided to do this year:

1. Each kid will have a binder with dividers. Some posters use spirals but I think a binder will work better for me.

2. Read the chapter on the first 20 days. It has the most meat in it to get going with in a short period of time. They are easy to follow and I believe easy to implement.

3. Make sure your classroom library has some sort of order and classification to it.

4. After this gets going I will hopefully have had more time to read the writing part of it.

For me taking baby steps is best with this so close to the start of school. I don't need another thing to overwhelm me right now.
dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

TTT

It's our third year...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

so make it easy on yourself and start with the First Twenty Days. They are basically scripted mini lessons which will help you and the kids get introduced to the whole concept.

Some of the lessons can be combined so go with your comfort level. It's a pretty overwhelming program but if you do the first 20, other elements will develop.

The kids can categorize your classroom library by genre so don't take it all on yourself.
TTT is offline   Reply With Quote

4strong

First 20 Days
Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree that you should start with First 20 Days. It's a nice, easy, smooth start.......I actually do Days 1-10; skip the letters; do Days 16-20.

This is my third year using F & P. The letters are the most difficult for me to manage, so I don't use them. I ask them to respond to a single prompt (see p.157)....no promise of a letter from you......you could ask them to write a thin/thick question or use the reading strategy you taught that week.

Do try......always implement small pieces of a new program.
4strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Grade4Newbie

Grade4Newbie

The First 20 Days
Old 08-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with the previous posters' suggestion to focus on the chapter about the first 20 days. Even if the students have had teachers in earlier grades who used this system, they still will need the first 20 lessons. Given that the first month of school is broken up with holidays, 20 days of lessons should take you into early October. That gives you another month to read through the chapters that seem most applicable to your situation. It's not as bad as it looks, as there are many graphics interspersed. I was given the book a few summers ago, and read a chapter or two a day over the summer vacation. I have since moved to a new district that does not use this program, but I still find myself using the F&P book for the graphic organizers and suggestions of what books to use.

Leveling the classroom library was time consuming. At one point I recruited my nephew, who was 11 at the time, to go onto the Scholastic site (http://src.scholastic.com/ecatalog/d...subt=0&Test=NA) to look up the level of each book I had. You will want to have this done by the time you get to the lesson in which you introduce your students to how your library is organized.

1956BD

Old 08-24-2007, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is an overwelming book, but worth the work. I would start with the first 20 days of reading and see what kind of results you have. I bet they will be so good that you will want to implement more ideas.

Good luck!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

carrie3

First Twenty Days
Old 08-25-2007, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Have been using the book for awhile and like previous posters I follow the chapter The First Twenty Days it walks you through with mini lessons and tells you exactly what to do. Good Luck.
carrie3 is offline   Reply With Quote

witty1

Another helpful book
Old 12-04-2007, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have used Guiding.... for several years. I am just now feeling I have the hang of it. Take baby steps. Another great book, and much more user-friendly, is Revisiting the Reading Workshop. It's my new favorite
guide to using a workshop model.
witty1 is offline   Reply With Quote