New Morning Meeting greetings - ProTeacher Community

3boys'mommy

3boys'mommy

New Morning Meeting greetings
Old 08-23-2007, 10:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for any new ideas that anyone may have for Morning Meeting greetings. I have been doing MM for 5 years now and need some new greetings. Thanks!

tcheer9

Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

after I took rc2.. I bought 6 recipe files and notecards and my greeting comes from that..I look at any skills we need to cover in the school year.. and I make groupings as follows..

states and capitols
present tense and past tense
Onomatopedia vroom.. car

These are just a few examples.. I have 100's of these

I take out 20 cards .. one for each child.. 10 pairs.. and I mix them up and lay them on the floor.. when they come to MM they take a card.. the pairs greet after I explain what they have in common.. or I let them figure out the category.. They greet in the middle and hi 5 or elbow tap, or what ever we decide.. They place the cards in a box and one class job is to put them away..

I have a number in the corner to help me pair them up quickly It really is the best thing I have implimented in my room in a LONG time.. they LOVE it

some groups are more than 2

all nouns greet in the middle
anyone whose math problem is even and less than 10
anyone whose math problen is odd and less than 10 etc

I do mix this up with "screamin eyes" "ball greeting" and timed etc.. here is a web bite

originsonline.org
tcheer9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Inspire

book
Old 08-23-2007, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There's a book called 99 Activities and Greetings by Melissa Correa-Connolly.
Inspire is offline   Reply With Quote

jcgy7

my kids like
Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

abc order by first or last name, backwards greeting (walk backwards to greet the person with a handshake), grown up greeting (use Mr. and Ms. instead of first names), ball toss, speedy greeting (go around saying good morning as fast as possible), and others I can't think of right now! I have students lead morning meeting after the first quarter and whoever leads gets to pick the greetings. After they've seen them modeled, they're pretty good at coming up with their own (although sometimes they're a little overly complex!).
jcgy7 is offline   Reply With Quote

snowpoppy2

greetings
Old 08-24-2007, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do giants, witches, and elves-we also greet each other in other languages-we toss a multiplication cube/subtraction cube-our class came up with a secret handshake-we also had a secret sign to pass around the circle. Hope that gives you some other ideas. Sorry if it doesn't...I've only been doing RC for a year now...still sorta new at this!

snowpoppy2 is offline   Reply With Quote

vana

Tcheer9 could you give details?
Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have just joined a staff that has a strong tradition of MM however I have not taken the RC class. I would love to hear about "screaming eyes", "ball greeting" and timed... greetings.
THANKS!
vana is offline   Reply With Quote

SharBust

new at it
Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

This is my 1st year Teaching Elementary (3rd grade). I am using morning meeting. I bought 3 of the books in the series. I absolutly love it and so do my kids. On Fridays, I do not have much time for it. One day this week I forgot it. Do you have any suggestions for a "newby?"

My kids really enjoy "Brown Bear" and "Hickety Pickety". If you do not know those, I would be delighted to email you details.

Thanks!
SharBust is offline   Reply With Quote

tcheer9

Old 08-24-2007, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

you can look these up and MANY more at the originsonline.org web site.. just follow the tabs to the games.. and then the drop down screen for greetings.. there are tons described in detaril

the ball toss greets as they tos it across the circle.. hands in front untill youve recieved it.. then behind you back to signal that you have had it.. when all have had a chance, we toss it AGAIN in the same order NO talking.. they love to see how fast they can do it.. and beat their times..

you can also go backwards.. toss back to who tossed to you.. a little harder
tcheer9 is offline   Reply With Quote

stalgama

shoe greeting
Old 08-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Every Friday, we do a shoe greeting that the students look forward to. Everyone takes off one shoe and places it in the center of the circle. Then, each student takes turns closing his/her eyes and selecting a shoe to determine who s/he will greet. Those two students then greet each other and the process continues until everyone has had a turn. Sure, it gets to be a little smelly, but the kids have a blast with it!
stalgama is offline   Reply With Quote