Help

Sixth Grade

When do I give projects? CHOICE MENUS

>

golden_rule

When do I give projects? CHOICE MENUS
Old 11-14-2015, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I have a lot of great ideas for CHOICE MENUS for my 6th Grade Social Studies class. However my issue is, when do I give these assignments?

For example, we are starting our unit of Ancient River Valley Civilizations. We are starting with Mesopotamia, then Egypt, then India and China. My students know nothing and unfortunately I don't expect any of them to know any of the content.

So do I give the projects after we go over the content?

I am thinking about doing a RAFT Writing Assignment for both Mesopotamia and Egypt. Additionally, I want them to do a TIC TAC TOE choice board assignment on each Ancient River Civilization.

Also I want to do a timeline activity where they make a multi-tiered timeline for each of the Ancient River Valley Civilizations.

My problem is, when do I do all of this? We will dealing with Ancient River Valley Civilizations until mid-January. I want to be finish with Ancient Egypt before Christmas Break.

golden_rule is offline   Reply With Quote

vanvic

Have you looked at
Old 11-14-2015, 03:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

mrdonn or mrdowling sites for SS. They both have great SS info.
We are doing those ancient civ. now. I let them pick a project from one of those areas. They work on it while we are learning about Egypt, Meso. and China. We use the library and I also happen to have a ton of books in those subject areas they can use.
vanvic is offline   Reply With Quote

angelajw

6th grade projects
Old 11-14-2015, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach 6th grade Science so it may be a little different. Right now my students are in the middle of a biome project. I gave them a timeline of when concepts will be covered in class and a deadline. We will spend half of a class period covering the new material and half working on that section of the project. The deadline was set for 3 days and a weekend after all of the material had been covered. They are expected to put all of the project together at home. I was able to give them a choice of creating a presentation poster or a diorama.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 11-23-2015, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You really have to wait until most of the content has been taught. And teach with a mindset of the project, so make sure to cover most of the info they'll need, and they may need to do a small amount of independent research. I typically give 1-2 weeks depending on how much work it will be, with 20-30 min work periods on most days.
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote