First day PE idea's - ProTeacher Community

SeasideTeache

First day PE idea's
Old 08-25-2007, 08:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So i have PE scheduled for the first day of school... and I "get" to teach PE myself . Anyone have any good idea's of simple games that we could do? I will focus on teaching skills, but the first day i want something simple to work on procedure and get the energy out (its the last thing of the day!)
thanks.....

SeasideTeache is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

P.E. Games to start the school year
Old 08-25-2007, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We don't have 'specials' teachers at the elementary level, so I, too, have to teach my own P.E.

During the first few weeks, I like to use my P.E. time to teach students how to use the playground equipment correctly. In the beginning I teach them how to play the games so that everyone is using the same rules. (If you're new to the school, check with others at your grade level so that you all are in agreement about rules.)

I teach them how to use any climbing equipment safely, then they take turns showing me they know how to use it. (For example, We have an apparatus that has a bridge that goes over the top. I teach them that they must only get on from the left, and WALK across to the right. No chasing across the bridge. Then, they demonstrate by going across correctly. It has slides, poles, and 'monkey bars', so after explaining them all, they each show me that they know how to properly use them.)

We have hopscotch, tether balls, four square, handball courts and basketball courts, so I teach them those games, as well.

During my regular P.E.time, I teach them the skills they need in preparation of the game we will be playing whether it be soccer, kickball, or volleyball. (Sometimes, I use the more skilled students to explicitly peer teach how to kick, throw, catch, or hit a ball.)

Hope this gives you some ideas for starting the school year.

Here are some websites you might use for reference in the future:

Games & Sports
http://scoutingweb.com/scoutingweb/Program/Games.htm

Happy Feet Running Games w Printables
Running Games-Activities and printable direction cards appropriate for a kids' running club from HappyFeetKids.Com,
http://www.happyfeetkids.com/games.html

Physical Educ. Resources, Lessons and Activties
Special Theme: May Is Physical Fitness Month! From Education World
http://www.educationworld.com/a_spec..._fitness.shtml

Put FIZZ into Phys. Ed!-Education World
Resources, Lessons and Activities for Physical Education
http://www.educationworld.com/a_spec..._fitness.shtml

The Source: Anywhere Games
http://www.thesource4ym.com/games/anywhere.asp
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

SeasideTeache

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Those are some great websites, and i will be sure to focuse on "training" the kids! Thanks!

linny22

PE teachers
Old 08-26-2007, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is nice of you to want to play something that will get the kids involved and is different. When I went to elementary school, we just usually played kick ball or dodge ball.
linny22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Random

Old 08-26-2007, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

When I taught my own gym, I spent the first few weeks teaching playground games and proper use and care of recess equipment. We also played some cooperative games. I didn't start with any specific skills until the third week of school, I think.

I used a FABULOUS resource for teaching gym called No Standing Around In My Gym. I don't remember who wrote it, but I bought it on Amazon.

It has a large collection of games and really wonderful ideas for a skills-based PE program with centres. It is set up in a way that all children are engaged and physically active at all times (no waiting around for your turn, no hanging off to the side during a class game, etc). I used the book to organize my entire PE program when I taught PE to first, second and third graders. Now I don't have to teach my own PE, so I passed the book on to our gym teacher. He loves it as much as I did.

The skills are set up in units with activities and teaching ideas. I can't remember them all off-hand, but some of the units were skipping, soccer skills, ball skills, scooters, floor hockey, cooperative games.

I highly recommend it!

Random is offline   Reply With Quote

Random

Old 08-26-2007, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Oops, I forgot to answer your question!

Do you have access to a parachute in your school? If you do, that would be a really fun way to end the first day of school...it's cooperative, community-building, very active and just lots of fun. There are lots of parachute games that you could play.
Random is offline   Reply With Quote

SeasideTeache

thanks random!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I might just buy that book, it sounds great! got to love amazon!

Teach'n'Learn

Pe
Old 08-26-2007, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I like these.

Crocodile Tag -- Kids spread out in a field and run around trying to tag one another. When you get tagged, you have to drop to the ground and walk like a crocodile for five steps. (Push-up position)

Fun Lap - Start at your own spot (make sure it's a place you'll remember. For example, my spot was a dandilion in the field.) The whistle blows and you spend 20 seconds moving any way you want (run, skip, hop, spin circles, etc.) The catch is that you have to move forward the whole 20 seconds and be back at your spot when the whistle blows. Then, because running laps is doing the same thing over and over, you have another 20 seconds to do the exact same thing. (Yep, you have to remember exactly what you just did!) Then you pair up and one student has to follow the other through "their" lap and then they switch. Then you have to do a 20 second lap where you start with one student's lap and immediately segue into the other student's lap. Then reverse the order of the laps.

Shark Tag - One student is the shark. The rest are fishies. The shark stands in the middle of the field, facing a line of the rest of the students. He says, "Little fish, little fish, come swim in my sea." Then the rest run past the shark to get to the opposite line. If you're tagged, you become a shark. The students would play this all day if I let them.
Teach'n'Learn is offline   Reply With Quote