ARCHIVE

Parts of Speech lesson plans...r/o

>

LT

LT

Parts of Speech lesson plans...r/o
Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Fellow friends, I'm still in school and my assignment is to create a 5-day plan on ONE subject. I decided that I should cover "Parts of Speech" I was thinking I can cover nouns-day1, verbs-day2, adj., pronouns, and then the last day adverbs and prepositions. Problem is, I looked online and its hard to find lessons plans for them. I may not be looking in the right places. My teacher said we can get help from fellow teachers who may have good lesson plans. That is why I am on this forum to call for help!! Grade level Pre-K thru-4th. Thanks in advance.

Teach4

culmination activity
Old 02-23-2006, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Once you've taught several parts of speech, it's fun to pass out sheets of newspaper and have the kids look for examples.

For instance, this year we divided a sheet of construction paper into 4 squares. We labeled one square common nouns, one was proper nouns, one for adjectives, and one for verbs. You could change the categories depending on what you've taught. Each child cut out 5 examples for each category and glued them on the paper. Then they chose one word from each box and wrote a sentence using all of them on the back of the paper.
Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Nicole e.

Nicole e.

Make up own stories
Old 02-24-2006, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't know that I've run across many fun ways to teach the parts of speech either. However, I usually make up silly little stories myself, chuck full of whatever part of speech I'm covering that day. I then have the students go on a "scavenger hunt" in the story looking for that part of speech,and highlighting it whenever they find an example in the story.
I would suggest then listing them on a poster for that part of speech, brainstorming extras as a group after recording the ones found in the story. By the end of the unit, you'll have a poster for each part of speech with many examples for each! I hope this helps...

PrivateEyes

In all practicality
Old 02-25-2006, 05:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would never try to teach "parts of speech" as a week long activity in 3rd grade. I would spend a week on nouns, a week on verbs, etc. Think about kindergarten, where you do a LETTER a week! I would suggest going more simply. "Subjects and Predicates" are a suitable weeklong activity, and can be geared toward any grade level PK-4.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Mad libs
Old 02-28-2006, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One thing my students love doing is "mad libs". Those are great for teaching parts of speech. You can start off by reviewing each part - mainly nouns, verbs, adverbs, and adjectives. Give them a piece of paper and have them divide it into 4 places. Write the definition of each, and let them write 5 examples of each. Then you call out parts of speech for them to "fill in the blank" on the mad libs (you're the only one that knows the story says ahead of time). Then read the story back to them - it's hiliarious! When they get the hang of that, you can let them write their own mad lib and swap with a partner.

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote