ESL/LEP

Push-in Frustration

>

Bellapointe

Push-in Frustration
Old 01-24-2016, 05:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello!

I am a brand new ESL teacher and am working in a school district that uses the push-in model. I am teaching in five different classrooms a day in grades 6-8. Although, most of the classroom teachers have been kind, a couple of them haven't. I am working with one particularly difficult teacher. She refuses to share any materials from her lessons from me because she fears that I will help the students to get the right answers. I've explained that I only want to look at the material to get a better idea of what I need to prepare for a group of seven students. It's been very challenging preparing lessons when I have to make guesses at what the whole class will be doing. Somehow, I manage to prepare a lesson for every class (although, they are sometimes slightly off). I've heard that the first year of teaching is hard but I didn't expect it to be hard in this way!

I would love to hear from teachers who have experience with push-in models and get advice on dealing with a classroom teacher who doesn't want a push-in ESL teacher in her classroom. Thanks!

Bellapointe is offline   Reply With Quote

JessSickah

Old 01-24-2016, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ugh! I feel for you. I am also a new ENL teacher and at first I thought I had the same problem. When did you start? I think it takes time for the classroom teachers to get used to having another teacher in their classroom everyday. I started at the end of October and I feel some of the teachers are just getting used to me. Just show up, with a smile everyday, maybe get a teacher edition of the text? Could you talk to another grade level teacher to get the material?

Hang in there, I feel your pain!!
JessSickah is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Push in
Old 01-24-2016, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is best approached as co-teaching. You should attempt to collaborate on lessons with the teacher you push-in with. You can offer expertise on accommodation and differentiation based on the levels of your students.

Further, you have every right and need to access that material. You should be working together to benefit your students - and she should not bedeliberately 1) refusing to share and b) insulting you by insinuating you just want to "give" the answer. Supporting and guiding, yes. Giving, no.

I think you should try to sit down with this teacher and talk this out. Come to an agreement on both of your roles within her classroom. Try it for one month. If, at that time, you haven't seen some shifts, talk it over with your principal. Don't complain or attack, but approach it as seeking suggestions for working better with a colleague. Documebt meetings and results, just to be safe.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ESLteacher

I feel your pain...
Old 03-03-2016, 10:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am do push in and pull out. When I push in I tend to just sit around. I feel like an assistant or some sort. So many teachers do not know how to co-teach and collaborate.
K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

talk2bethany

Push in co-teaching
Old 03-04-2016, 10:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Push in only works if you are truly co-teaching. Otherwise you are simply being used as an assistant. You have a certified teaching license, so you are an equal to the other teacher. I would transition to pulling out the students in this class, if this situation doesn't work, because your students deserve a teacher and direct lessons that instruct them in what they need to learn.

talk2bethany is offline   Reply With Quote