2nd grade book list - ProTeacher Community

Meredith

2nd grade book list
Old 08-29-2007, 03:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a list they give to parents of books appropriate for 2nd graders? One of my parents asked me for one, since she has a hard timing knowing what books would be good for her daughter. I was thinking of just making a list myself of some book series that would be appropriate for 2nd grade (like Henry and Mudge, Froggy, Mr. Putter and Tabby, etc.) but then I thought someone might already have a book list typed up!

Meredith is offline   Reply With Quote

LurkerTammy

Perhaps you can use this
Old 08-29-2007, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I haven't looked through this site much but it gave me an idea of some series books I wanted to stock my library with.

You can sort by grade level.
Since the parent is just trying to get book ideas, she'll probably be able to navigate that site pretty easily.

http://home.comcast.net/~ngiansante/index.html
LurkerTammy is offline   Reply With Quote

ogdodie

Here's what I have so far
Old 08-29-2007, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Junie B.
Ramona
Frog and Toad
Animal Ark
Magic Tree House
Box Car Children
Cam Jansen
Judy Moody
Judy Moody’s brother Stink
A to Z Mysteries
Marvin Redpost
Bill Wallace
Mr. Putter and Tabby
Amelia Bedelia
Fluffy the Guinea Pig series
Henry & Mudge
Arthur,
Amelia Bedelia
Curious George
Ramona books
Blueberries for Sal
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day
Miss Nelson is Missing
Miss Nelson is Back!

My list keeps growing as I read other teachers suggestions. I am new to 2nd grade this year, so I really appreciate everyone's willingness to share on this site. Hopefully I will be able to add to this list as the year progresses.
ogdodie is offline   Reply With Quote

javagirl

Do you use SRI or AR
Old 08-30-2007, 09:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you use these programs at school, you could suggest the parent purchase Scholastic books at the student's level. Have you noticed Scholastic is now printing the levels of some books in their order catalog? Also, if you have a lexile level, you (or the parent) can go to www.lexile.com, type in the student's lexile level, and a list of books in that range will pop up. Then the parent would have a list to take to the library.

Good luck!
javagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

kristeacher

book list
Old 08-31-2007, 02:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here is a great website. I use it as a parent and teacher. http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/children...booklists.html
This is the book list for too good to miss for second grade.

Adler, David. Young Cam Jansen and the Dinosaur Game.* (J-ER Ad) When Cam Jansen and her friend Eric go to a birthday party, she uses her photographic memory to solve the puzzle of the dinosaur count.

Ahlberg, Allan. The Woman Who Won Things. (First Chapter Book Ah) As Mr. Gaskitt takes a series of jobs and Mrs. Gaskitt keeps winning prizes, their nine-year-old twins, Gus and Gloria, follow a substitute teacher who seems too good to be true.

Aliki. The Story of Johnny Appleseed. (J 921 Cha) Retells the wandering of John Chapman whose devotion to planting apple trees made him a legendary figure in American history.

Anholt, Laurence. Little Red Riding Wolf.* (First Chapter Book An) A funny twist on Little Red Riding Hood. Good Little Wolfie is teased and humiliated by the Big Bad Girl, until Old Granny Wolf teaches the brute a lesson.

Antle, Nancy. Sam's Wild West Show. (J-ER An) Sam and his Wild West Show entertain the townsfolk and catch two bank robbers before moving on to the next town.

Arnosky, Jim. Crinkleroot's Guide to Knowing Animal Habitats. (J591.5 Ar) Introduces different wildlife habitats, including wetlands, woodlands, cornfields, and grasslands.

Base, Graeme. Uno's Garden. (EJ Ba) Uno builds a home and garden in the magnificent forest among the playful puddlebuts and feathered frinklepods, but as the place becomes more and more popular, it is overtaken by tourists and buildings until the forest and animals seem to disappear altogether.

Brown, Margaret Wise. Sneakers: Seven Stories About a Cat. (First Chapter Book Br) Read all about the adventures of a highly curious cat named Sneakers.

Byars, Betsy. Tornado. (First Chapter Books By) As they wait out a tornado in their storm cellar, a family listens to their farmhand tell stories about the dog that was blown into his life by another tornado when he was a boy.

Coerr, Eleanor. The Josefina Story Quilt. (J-ER Co) While traveling west with her family in 1850, a young girl makes a patchwork quilt chronicling the experiences of the journey and reserves a special patch for her pet hen Josefina.

Cosby, Bill. The Best Way to Play.* (J-ER Co) Little Bill and his teammates are excited to begin baseball practice, but they cannot agree on the team name. *Part of the series, Little Bill Books for Beginning Readers.

Danziger, Paula. Get Ready for Second Grade, Amber Brown. *(First Chapter Bk Da) Amber is nervous about starting second grade with a new teacher, but despite being in the same class as mean Hannah Burton, things turn out just fine.

DiCamillo, Kate. Mercy Watson to the Rescue.* (First Chapter Book Di)

After Mercy the pig snuggles to sleep with the Watsons, all three awaken with the bed teetering on the edge of a big hole in the floor.

Eldin, Peter. The Most Excellent Book of How to be a Magician. (J793.8 El) Provides instructions for a variety of tricks, advice on making costumes and props, and presenting your act to an audience.

Florian, Douglas. Omnibeasts. (J 811.54 Fl) A collection of funny poems and paintings about animals and insects.

Gardner, Sally. Tales from the Box: The Countess’s Calamity.* (First Chapter Book Ga) Five dolls, abandoned in a park, are rescued by Mr. and Mrs. Mouse who provide a home for them and protect them through various adventures, despite the horrible behavior of the doll called “The Countess.”

Giff, Patricia Reilly. Good Luck, Ronald Morgan! (First Chapter Books Gi) Ronald Morgan needs lots of luck not only to train the dog which he just received for his birthday but also to win the friendship of his new neighbor.

Guthrie, Woody. This Land is Your Land. (J 782.42162 Gu) Travel the United States through the eyes of Woody Guthrie and folk artist Kathy Jakobsen. This well-known folk song is accompanied by musical notation, and a biographical scrapbook with photographs.

Gutman, Dan. Miss Daisy is Crazy!* (First Chapter Book Gu) What's up with Miss Daisy? She can't spell, doesn't understand math, and cannot read or write. It’s a good thing her students are up to the task of teaching. *The first of the series, “My Weird School.”

Helmer, Marilyn. Recess Riddles. (J793.735 He) A crash course in riddles and jokes about teachers and school.

Horowitz, Ruth. Breakout at the Bug Lab. (J-ER Ho) When a giant cockroach named Max escapes from their mother's bug laboratory, Leo and his brother receive help from a mysterious stranger who advises them to think like a bug in order to recapture the runaway roach.

Kline, Suzy. Horrible Harry in Room 2B. (First Chapter Book Kl) Doug discovers that though being Harry's best friend isn't always easy, it is often a lot of fun.

McCall Smith, Alexander. Akimbo and the Lions. (First Chapter Book Ma) When Akimbo and his park ranger father unintentionally capture a lion cub near an African game park, Akimbo wants to keep the cub.

Miller, Sara S. Three Stories You Can Read to Your Dog.* (J-ER Mi) Stories addressed to dogs and written from a dog's point of view, featuring such topics as a burglar, bones, and running free.

Ready Set Read and Laugh! (J810.8 Re) A collection of humorous stories, poems, riddles and the like for beginning readers.

Rylant, Cynthia. The Case of the Missing Monkey.* (J-ER Ry) While having breakfast at their favorite diner, two detectives, Bunny and Jack, solve a mystery that is not what it seems.

Sharmat, Marjorie W. Nate the Great and the Lost List..* (J-ER Sh) Nate the Great interrupts his backyard vacation to find his friend's lost grocery list before lunch.

Steig, Jeanne. A Handful of Beans: Six Fairy Tales. (J 398.208 St) Old favorites such as Rumpelstiltskin, Beauty and the Beast, Hansel and Gretel, and The Frog Prince.

Taback, Simms. Kibitzers and Fools: Tales my Zayda Told Me. (J 398.208 Ta) Thirteen humorous traditional Jewish tales, each accompanied by an appropriate saying.

Yolen, Jane. Commander Toad in Space.* (J-ER Yo) The intrepid crew of the space ship "Star Warts" lands on a water-covered planet inhabited by Deep Wader, a horrible hungry monster.

Find more MCPL booklists at:
http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/children...booklists.html
or, ask a librarian to help you find more great reads!

Revised by MCPL Children's Services 2007.

kristeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Jaime-2

Book LIst
Old 08-31-2007, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Here is the book list that I use when meeting with parents or when they want help choosing series through book orders. I made it 3 years ago but it has a some good series on it.

Jaime
Attached Files
File Type: doc Book List.doc (33.5 KB, 485 views)
Jaime-2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jennypie

book list
Old 08-31-2007, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you go onto Scholastic.com, there is a link for appropriate books for students of different grade levels. Parents can visit the site and see a picture and description of the book if they are interested in purchasing it.
Jennypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Amy

Amy

Old 04-23-2008, 10:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler Warner
Henry and Mudge by Cynthia Rylant
Junie B. Jones by Barbara Park
The Magic Treehouse by Mary Pope Osborne
Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
Jake Drake by Andrew Clements
Thrid Grade Detectives by George E. Stanley