Help

ESL/LEP

Class not listening

>

SerenaPup

Class not listening
Old 02-21-2016, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My class seems to have decided, as almost a whole, to not follow the directions lately. It started about 3 weeks ago when I was out sick for a week and they have 3 different subs and the last one let them run wild. Now this group is talkative to begin with - which I made clear in my sub notes. When I came back they have continued to disregard the rules they have been following all year (except those few that like to challenge every now and then and I have always been consistent with consequences). I thought it was me at first, however all the specials teachers have pulled me in because they have not followed the rules.

I have reviewed all rules, I even pulled out the anchor charts from when we created the rules at the beginning of the year. We reviewed the consequences. I increased the consequences. This week my entire class lost recess and they were back to goofing off, not doing work, talking and out of their seats about 30mins after recess. Oh, these are 3rd graders. I use the DOJO system and while they are upset in the moment that they are losing points and they are now 1,000 points from their pizza party instead of 400 they still will not stop.

Any ideas? This is my first time teaching ELL and as I said they where doing fine before I was out a week. It was close to returning after winter break however they were following the rules before I was sick and yes I have been out before however no more than one day at a time.

SerenaPup is offline   Reply With Quote

K12ESLteacher

Interesting
Old 03-03-2016, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, that is strange that their behavior drastically changed when you were out for a week. When you came back from a week long whatever, did you reteach same routines and procedures or instilled a new set of rules? I do not really know what your classroom management looks like, but I think when students work as teams to earn points or rewards and held accountable within each team, students tend to behave better and keep other team members accountable for behaving well. Can you be more specific about your classroom management?
K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote