Help

Sixth Grade

Solar System

>

Queenie Peavy

Solar System
Old 03-13-2016, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a history teacher that has to teach a section of science. I'm trying to make the most of it but it is taking me out of my comfort zone. I am being observed in about a week and a half. This observation has to be in the science class.

We are just beginning a unit on the Solar System. Does anyone have a good lesson that you wouldn't mind sharing? I need something that can help me disguise the fact that I really dislike science. I already checked on pinterest but most of what I found seemed more like art lessons than science.

TIA,
Queenie

Queenie Peavy is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 03-13-2016, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I found an amazing kit from Lakeshore Learninf and it was all hands on activities. I did a DC project for it but you might check it out. The kids measured how far they could jump and what that would be on other planets, their weights on other planets, etc. You could also get leveled readers to go with it. If you lived near me id totally loan it to you, it's just sitting in my basement.

I also have my kids leveled reading assignments and had them present to the class.

There are also a bunch of quests (I forgot what they're called but they compete assignments on the computer) and interactive activities of you google interactive activities and the solar system. Also, check NASA.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-13-2016, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My 5th graders did the one GG recommends last week: how much do you weigh on other planets? Good combo of math & science.

We'll be doing this next week.
http://mintaka.sdsu.edu/projectastro...ced_blanco.pdf
Before your obs show a video and/or read about the moon. Then I group kids and have them rank this list of what they'd need for survival on the moon after a crash landing. Then bring them all together to discuss--use NASA's ranking and explanation to help you. We're doing it next week. Great lesson, I promise.

And this one has NASA's ranked answers:
http://www.myelement.org/cms/lib01/C...Moon_01_12.doc

Last edited by amiga13; 03-13-2016 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: More info
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 03-13-2016, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't teach the solar System, per say, my curriculum is more focused on space exploration and history. The NASA website has a ton of resources and lesson plans that may give you a good starting place. Look in the education section. For example, I did a stem activity that had the kids designing a new space craft with certain qualifications. Lots of math, engineering etc. I know that's not exactly relating to the solar system, but maybe nasa website will have some more related lesson plans!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

Distance
Old 03-13-2016, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Maybe the lesson on how far apart the planets are? You can use toilet paper squares. I'll see if I can find a link to it...

ETA: Found one!
https://astrosociety.org/edu/family/...oiletpaper.pdf

h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-13-2016, 03:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Since you are a history teacher, why not play to your strength?

-History of how our understanding of the solar system developed. How do we know that the earth and planets go around the sun, and not vice versa? There's an interesting history lesson there, but it is also a useful science lesson. What evidence do kids have (besides that the teacher told them)? Is there any way they can prove it based on their own observations? It's a great lesson in the scientific method. Maybe kids could do a role play or a debate. The idea is that scientific understanding must be evidence based, but that many people have biases that make it difficult for them to accept evidence.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lionpaws

History and hands-on
Old 03-15-2016, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I like lisa53's idea of playing on your strength of history. What about a timeline of the telescope?

http://www.kidsastronomy.com/telescopesD.htm

How telescopes work
http://www.bro.lsu.edu/telescope/Cla...rk/lesson.html

Some hands-on

http://teachers.egfi-k12.org/lesson-...lescopes-work/

You could always access the Hubble images from NASA or show a movie/video from Discovery Education
Lionpaws is offline   Reply With Quote