Help

Teacher News & Opinion

Rti

>

Renea

Rti
Old 04-12-2016, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

RTI in my district has been questioned and this article seems to verify our concerns. Agree or disagree anyone?

http://www.makespecialeducationwork.....Z0rXqAuy.dpbs

Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

apple annie

Old 04-12-2016, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I mostly agree with the article. It feels like RTI is a way to keep kids form getting special ed classification and special Ed services.

And why do they call it RTI? You don't "do" RESPONSE to intervention. You DO INTERVENTION. Or am I just clueless?
apple annie is offline   Reply With Quote

BohemianGal

Old 04-14-2016, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You do the intervention and see if/how the student responds.

And, yes, it's definitely a ploy to avoid providing SPED services. (IMHO)
BohemianGal is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachLoveRead

Rti
Old 04-14-2016, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree 100%. It is a complete waste of time and money. It does a disservice to every kid who goes through this process. The kids who improve do so because of good teaching and intervention that they would have gotten even if they were not "on RTI" and the ones who don't (because they have a learning disability and need SPED services) lose a year or more of their schooling waiting to get the testing and placement they deserve.

I so wish more parents knew their rights. If they request a full evaluation in writing, the school must respond and complete it within an identified time period. But most don't realize that.
TeachLoveRead is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Old 04-16-2016, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm my former school district the RTI students list more than a year. Years of "data" had to be collected. The district was so proud that sped numbers were reduced. Yeah... everyone knew that those students were simply in a holding pattern.

Renea is online now   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Interesting article, but...
Old 04-16-2016, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

that's not how I see it in my school.

The purpose of Rti is to intervene early and close gaps rather than keep pushing kids along and eventually qualifying them as SLD. Our teachers have a really difficult time implementing effective interventions and we seem to push kids through the tiers and qualify them. It seems that every child who struggles ends up qualifying at some point. I have seen totally unrealistic goals set that the child can't possibly reach just to speed the process along.

The sad fact is that kids receive fewer services once they qualify, than before. We don't have nearly enough ESE teachers. Ours kids are supposed to get 30 minutes a day (which is a joke) and most days they don't get that. The kids in the tiers get more support than the kids who are qualified.

Our intermediate teachers really push for them to be qualified so they can get an IEP and receive accommodations for the state testing. It is ridiculous. Rare is the child who actually uses extra time or asks for a math problem to be read.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Same, readerleader
Old 04-17-2016, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I see the same exact thing at my school. Kids in Kinder and 1st are not likely to qualify as SLD. There simply isn't a big enough gap between where they should be and where they are, and they tend to make progress on basic skills like letter names and sounds, so it's hard to show a lack of response to interventions. RtI structures help them get early intervention rather than just "waiting to fail" and being identified for sped in 2nd or 3rd grade when the gap is wide enough to qualify them as learning disabled.

We qualify more and more kids each year and are now up to over 15% of our school's population is labeled.

Quote:
The sad fact is that kids receive fewer services once they qualify, than before. We don't have nearly enough ESE teachers. Ours kids are supposed to get 30 minutes a day (which is a joke) and most days they don't get that. The kids in the tiers get more support than the kids who are qualified.
This is the part that really bothers me at my school. Classroom teachers don't seem to understand that this is happening. They fight SO hard for kids to get an IEP and I really don't understand why. The only thing I can think of is they want the child labeled so that they can feel better about the student not progressing, because there is a "reason?" It sounds bad, but that's the only thing I can think of that makes sense.

The last student I qualified was a 2nd grader who was in a title 1 reading group with only 3 other students that met for 3 hours per week and was targeted to the student's reading level. My 2nd grade group has 7 students in it, 5 of whom have ADHD and/or severe behavior issues and set each other off (they were purposely spread out among the gen ed rooms, but have to be all together with me since they all have IEPs), meets for 2 hours per week, and has over a 1.5 year gap between the highest student and the lowest student. I explained this in her last RtI meeting and her classroom teacher still fought tooth and nail for the child to be referred, to the point of literally crying in the meeting and going on about how unfair the child not having an IEP up to this point was. The RtI services she was receiving were significantly better than what she is getting now on an IEP, and that is the case for almost every child that gets referred. It's extremely rare for kids to actually get more or better services once they get on an IEP, and really only happens if for some reason there happen to be very few students in that grade level that are identified.

Last edited by Haley23; 04-17-2016 at 04:42 PM..
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

I have been an RTI provider
Old 04-17-2016, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

for two years. I work with students at the primary level. I think RTI works best for students who need a little boost to be successful with grade level expectations. I can preteach the math lesson, reteach the lesson, or give added practice. I can use a variety of research based interventions and see that they do have a positive response. This may be all the child needs (our math program goes very quickly and introduces too many strategies for kids who need repeated practice to learn). On the other hand, I have students that have huge deficits. They do not respond to interventions and they are failing in the classroom. They will be getting RTI services for 3 years. They enter, are monitored for 8 weeks. Services are increased and intensified for another 8 weeks. Services continue for a final 8 weeks. It will start all over again the next year. Because they are so young, testing reveals that they are within "normal ranges". When they get to third grade, testing will reveal that they qualify for special ed. services. They will then get testing accomodations, be taught math in small groups, and will have math lessons move at a slower pace when necessary. It is very frustrating for everyone involved.
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 04-23-2016, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I see rti as a colossal waste of time. Why not do small group management within your classroom and tutor before or after school so the distraction and time loss is not there for the kids?

I do tutoring afterschool for 3 kids. They have made progress because there is no other noise going on in the classroom.

RTI has been the new bandwagon to deny services to children that they are legally entitled to.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

When I have a concern with a child
Old 06-27-2016, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have a meeting with the parents. I explain what I'm seeing and what my concerns are. I tell them what I can co.

I explain the RTI process and how it works.

I also explain to them that they have the right to request an evaluation of their student and explain that process. Sometimes they prefer RTI, sometimes they prefer an SST meeting. But just because they get the meeting doesn't mean that testing is done. They have to hold the meeting within 10 days. They don't have to do a full-scale evaluation.

PrivateEyes is online now   Reply With Quote