Sixth Grade

Science Classroom Library?

>

Readerforlife

Science Classroom Library?
Old 04-15-2016, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello All,
As the end of the year approaches, I am contemplating not having a classroom library. I teach 6th grade Science and Social Studies.

I have had parents donate books to me that are NOT related to the topics I teach. I know the importance of access to books for reading, but I am curious to see if any Science or Social Studies teachers have classroom libraries at all, or just have content related books.

I am wondering if I should just pass the books to the 6th grade reading teacher. I will have less shelf space next year and not sure if I will even have space for them.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Readerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Katherina

Reading and history teacher
Old 04-15-2016, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I understand the space issue. I think offering the books to others is a good idea. There isn't any sense in keeping books that you don't use.
I do believe in the importance of reading in all content areas. Would you be able to get content books that would support your curriculum?
Good luck.
Katherina is offline   Reply With Quote

mrteacherguy

Libraries can be good
Old 04-30-2016, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I agree wholeheartedly about the importance of having a classroom library, and last school year I inherited a very big one when I moved classrooms. But as a 6th grade science teacher, there was very little opportunity for my students to take advantage of the books, so I left them to the language arts teacher when we switched rooms.

If space is at a premium, then I would suggest boxing up the books and holding onto them for when you have more room, or passing them on to the 6th grade reading teacher so that someone might be able to make use of them.

As teachers we should be encouraging our students to read, but not all of us have the space and time to be encouraging the reading of books and novels. If anything, I would see if you could get your hands on some science magazines, even if you have to leave them in a box in the corner; in my experience students in 6th grade are greatly lacking in their reading ability when it comes to technical things like science texts.
mrteacherguy is offline   Reply With Quote