5th grade ATTITUDE - ProTeacher Community

sunflowergals

5th grade ATTITUDE
Old 09-04-2007, 09:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a mom of a 5th grade girl and boy does she have an ATTITUDE! Do they get this way in 5th grade? If so-- hat's off to all you 5th grade teachers!!! I'm ready to send her to the circus!

rbz

rbz

Old 09-04-2007, 11:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, fifth graders can be this way! I've noticed that there is sometimes a big change as some children go from being sweet and lovable fourth graders to not-very-lovable fifth graders.

Part of it is just growing up and asserting one's independence. Part of it is hormones that are starting to kick in. Part of it is knowing that as a fifth grader, one is in the highest elementary school grade (meaning that all teachers and younger kids should show the proper respect).

My kids are much older now, but somehow we got through this. You might want to quietly discuss this with your daughter's doctor to see if there are any medical issues that should be addressed. You also might want to discuss things with your daughter's new teacher.

Fifth graders don't like long speeches or lectures. A third or fourth grade teacher might be able to get away with a lot of talking/lecturing,
but a fifth grade teacher never can. To many kids this age, if teachers or parents talk too much, they are BORING.

Have a sense of humor. Don't be afraid to assert your authority, but at the same time, pick your battles. Don't sweat the small stuff. If she wants to do something that you don't feel comfortable with, don't be afraid to say "no," but avoid long lectures or discussions about why you're saying "no." Just give her a smile and say that you won't be discussing it.

Good luck--you'll get through it!

tammynj

I don't know about that - I love 5th graders.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Teaching them, that is. I think kids tend to act differently to their teachers than they do their parents. Most of my students are pretty good at school, as far as being respectful. They are also helpful and cooperative.

Now, I have a 7th grade boy at home (the deluxe eye-rolling edition), whom I would be MORE than happy to ship off to the circus. Any takers?

linny22

5th grade
Old 09-04-2007, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't really mind fifth graders, I subbed the grade before. Then again I did't have to take one home at the end of the day. I guess she is just looking for some independence. Hang in there, it should get better by the time college rolls around (hopefully sooner).

Kiki

Heehee! Yes!
Old 09-04-2007, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach fifth. I always say that I really love them at the beginning of the year and I really love TO SEE THEM GO at the end of the year! As they get comfortable and settled in, their true colors really start to show. gotta love those hormones!

BlueAngel

same here...
Old 09-04-2007, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with Kiki. I say the same thing about 5th graders...love it at the beginning but love to see them go at the end. I usually notice a big change with the attitudes around March. There seems to be no "happy medium".

kinderteachnc

Oh Honey.....
Old 09-04-2007, 08:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have one that just started 7th but when she hit 5th grade, it started going downhill. The hormones, the attitude, the eyes rolling, and not to mention how dumb I became. I jokingly tell everyone that I have this theory about the aliens. See when your child enters middle school the aliens come down and take your child and send back this attitude ridden, thing in their place and then somewhere around 9th grade they send the real child back!!!!! I told my dd that next time she visits her mothership to tell the aliens to send her podperson back with less attitude. You guessed it, I got the eye rolling thingy. Oh will, only a couple more years to go and she'll return and I'll be smarter!!!