ARCHIVE

terrarium/aquarium in a bottle

>

TeacherBB

TeacherBB

terrarium/aquarium in a bottle
Old 09-04-2007, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone made this in Science class? I am trying to find the one called an "ecocolumn" where you use three 2- liter soda bottles. The bottom is the aquarium, the top is the terrarium and the middle piece is the connector. If anyone has done this can you send me a pm and email me the directions? This idea came from the STC science kit called "Ecosysytems". We no longer use this program in our district and I am sad because I loved this unit. If anyone has an old book with student book I would love it.

There is a cool site I checked out called "bottle biology"...but its a little different than the one from STC that I am trying to find. I hope someone can help me out. You should check out this site, very cool.

Some one

Some one

Project
Old 01-14-2008, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi I am a kid who is doing this in science right now and I know what to do! What you do is like you said put the bottom as an aquarium and the top as a terrarium with a connector in the middle. What you do is cut the top off of the aquarium and the bottom off the terrarium. Then both sides off of the connector. What we did was first divide our terrarium into 4 parts for our seeds. Then we labeled them as alfalfa, mustard, grass, and rock leaf stick. Then we put the according seeds in the proper spots. Then after that we started the aquarium part.( we add the animals last) First we took a plastic cup of gravel and poured it into the pop bottle. Then we measured 3 centimeters down and made a line. Then we filled the water up to the line. Then we added duckweed, alodea, and algae to the aquarium. Then we added the animals. First we added two mosquito fish to the aquarium along with two snails. Then to the terrariums we added two crickets and two rollie pollie bugs. Then we assembled the two together by putting the terrarium on top with the connector taped to it. We then put our aquariums on the bottom and taped them as well. When we watered our terrariums we took tablespoons and scooped water into them and then into the container. When the bottom started to drip water we would stop.
Well if you ned more info wich you probably will you can email me at dancinggirl514@yahoo.com.
Your welcome Some one
brickteach

brickteach

4th grade teacher MN
Old 04-23-2008, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you found out anything? I'm interested too! email at brickson@recwild.com