Gifted Education

New to gifted

>

so_ca_tchr

New to gifted
Old 07-09-2016, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,
I am new to teaching gifted and talented this year. Do you have any tips and advice for me?

so_ca_tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

kitty11710

Old 07-10-2016, 06:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What grade will you be teaching? Can you tell us how your school sets up their program? For example at my school, we have two GT classes per grade that come from all over the district. We have the same kids all day and teach them all subjects. However they are required to take the same state assessments as the general education students so we have to start first by following the same grade level standards and curriculum. I also find that many of my students are as highly gifted as you may think, so just as you would in general Ed, you have to begin your year with a ton of assessments. One child may be a gifted math student, but struggle at writing. Etc.. If you can give me more ideas about your program or if you have specific questions, I can help further.
kitty11710 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 07-10-2016, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Welcome to Gifted Ed! Teaching gifted children is different from teaching regular ed and requires a different mindset. Like kitty said, without knowing how your program is structured, it is hard to give you specific pointers, but in general, my advice would be:

Raise your expectations. Many gifted kids develop lazy habits because an average effort on their part is still as good or better than the "typical" students' work; so they get used to doing less than their best and it being acceptable. Expect more from them--challenge them to revise, edit, and go above and beyond what is normally accepted from them.

In my program, my job is not to teach skills and standards; it is more of a passive role in the classroom. I present them with texts, materials, tasks, parameters, etc, and then step back and allow them to drive their own learning through research and creativity. I walk around and observe, and offer pointers and feedback, but do not "teach" in the traditional sense. My objectives are more like "students will conduct research about a topic of interest" or "students will work in small groups to solve a problem." I don't teach them how to do these things, I let them figure a lot out on their own and offer guidance along the way. In the process of these activities, I might give a little mini-lesson on effective note-taking or accountable talk, but the majority of my day is spent just watching my students work, either independently or with a group, and taking advantage of "teachable moments."
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

so_ca_tchr

Thank you
Old 07-10-2016, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you for your responses. I teach 5th grade. I know that there are 2 fifth grades at my new school; 1 with non-GATE kids, the other with. In CA, my students will have to take the state test at the end of the year, as well as the CSTs in science. The principal told me I will be using more of a flipped model. I appreciate all of your comments. Oh, I do teach all subjects. Thanks, Susie
so_ca_tchr is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

Congrats
Old 07-11-2016, 07:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am from so Cal too. Since we are a CC state I would familiarize myself with not only the grade level standards but the GATE aligned standards to the common core. The pposters had some great advice too. I'm assuming that your school offers GATE classes for the previous grade levels as well? Since your prince. told you that the program follows a flip model I would first try and contact GATE teachers in the previous grades to find out what support you have in technology and other resources. Here are a couple web sites that can give you ideas and strategies to use. The CAG conference is excellent and there are links to handouts that might be valuable. Byrdseed is my favorite and he has some excellent resources and strategies.
http://www.cagifted.org/page/CAGCON16Handouts
http://www.byrdseed.com/

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote