What else can I do with a teaching degree? - ProTeacher Community

PPCDTeacher

What else can I do with a teaching degree?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching special ed for 11 years. Due to all the hassles and paperwork and politics that goes on, I'm starting to think about changing careers. What else can I do with a teaching degree/ special ed degree? (Bachelors) Any ideas?

PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ATOteacher

Lots of Things
Old 09-05-2007, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are many things that you can do just by having a degree of some kind. I know quite a few former teachers who are now in sales, either for textbook or yearbook companies.

My best friend is a special education teacher and let me say - God Bless each and every one of you out there. There is SO much red tape involved and the paperwork is outrageous. I don't think that I could handle it.

Have you considered going into a regular ed classroom for a change of pace?
ATOteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 09-05-2007, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I dont think i would want to do regular ed in my area. The focus is constantly on the state test, and the curriculum isn't even that good.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

lenarmc

I agree
Old 09-05-2007, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

with the previous poster. If you really love teaching, try going into a regular classroom. I made myself more marketable by not only being certified in general education, but ESL as well. Unless you're just sick of teaching in general, I would seriously consider going into a regular ed room. I guarantee that it will be like night and day.
By the way, my son is in special ed., and I appreciate everything that you all do. I know that it has to be a big pain in the behind with all of the paperwork. I know how much paperwork that I get with my own child. I can't imagine having to do it for multiple children.
lenarmc is offline   Reply With Quote

KTJM

multitalented
Old 09-05-2007, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think the skills teaching requires are very useful in any field. Teachers have to be highly organized, flexible, great time managers, and have super people skills with young and old. If you truly want a change, I would pick a field of interest and focus on your many transferable skills. I have a family member who is a trained educator working very successfully in advertising!

KTJM is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsM

an idea
Old 09-06-2007, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I've been signed up on Monster and Career Builders for a while now, and the listings I've seen that would be interesting are recruiter for technical college or college, and administrative college work such as registrar. I live near a city with almost a dozen universities and colleges, so that type of listing showed up quite a bit.
MrsM is offline   Reply With Quote