ESL help - ProTeacher Community

gardenko

ESL help
Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an ESL student that speaks only Spanish. He can understand me in English, most of the time, but he can't respond to me in English yet. The reading/la teacher is working very hard with him on his English skills, but he's already falling way behind in science and it's only been a week. We had a vocabulary quiz today and he got a zero. A ZERO. He said he couldn't read it. What kind of modifications could I make to a quiz to help him succeed....without writing the quiz in Spanish

(4th grade, sorry)

gardenko is offline   Reply With Quote

PanchaO

Old 09-07-2007, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I hate to tell you but if I gave you a science test in another language, tou would get a zero too. Why must you test him already. How about orally giving him a test if you think he understands (I donm't know how you can assume that). It takes 5- 7 years to learn a language and academic language is learned after casual language. How did you teach science..just by talking. You need lots of pictures, realia, comprehensible input. Please do some research> agood site ishttp://www.everythingesl.net/
PanchaO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tigger518

Old 09-07-2007, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you his ESL teacher or does he have one?
Tigger518 is offline   Reply With Quote

gardenko

Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did not just lecture for science. We've done many experiments and hands-on activities with this material. I've tried to involve all of our 8 intelligences into the content...so we've acted it out, we've made crafts/drawn pictures, we sang a song about photosynthesis, etc.
He has mastered all of his performance assessments and he's able to explain the concepts to classmates in English and Spanish. The vocabulary quiz that was given yesterday.... We defined the vocabulary as a class last Wednesday. They made flash cards in class on Thursday and he made his in English and in Spanish so he could work on translating. We have played games with the vocabulary all week and he has zipped through those easily. I know he studied them at night because the work is in his folder. The written vocab quiz was in matching format and the definitions were exactly as we defined them in class..no surprises, no tricks. This kiddo is a parent denial so he is not technically in the ESL program, but he is in with the ESL kids because we have a mixed regular ed/ESL class. But because he is not in the program and does not have a 504, I cannot give him an oral quiz. I would love to...I would love to give all of them an oral quiz, but it's against the stupid rules. Unfortunately, these quizzes and vocabulary words are written and given to me by higher authority. I can modify the quiz if I need to, but I cannot lessen the list of words they are required to know (I can add to it, but not shorten it). So I'm trying to find a way to modify his individual quiz so that he perhaps not be so overwhelmed by all of the English on one page or so he does not have to read so much.

gardenko

Old 09-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

He has two teachers....Reading/LA and Math/Sci./SS. (me). Both of us are ESL certified, but he doesn't have a specific ESL class. Our district doesn't have a pull out program or a special teacher that just concentrates on learning English above 2nd grade.

PanchaO

Old 09-08-2007, 07:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Where are you from?
PanchaO is offline   Reply With Quote

gardenko

Old 09-08-2007, 07:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Proud to be a Texan!

lillian

Denial?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You say his parents are in denial? Denial about what? Are they in denial that he needs ESL? Or are they opposed to ESL because they think he will be taught in Spanish, and they want him learning English only? Having taught ESL in Texas, I can tell you that this is a very big deal with some parents. Each year, I would have a parent or two call me at the beginning of the year and ask if I taught in English and Spanish, saying they were tired of their children being taught in Spanish. They wanted their children to learn English only. Is this what is going on? If so, I advise getting a child who is fluent in Spanish to be his study buddy and sit right beside him, translating and helping him study. You will need to switch the study buddy out, though, for it's difficult for kids to do, and they need a break from it. I also would suggest taking the study buddy aside, explaining the study buddy's role, and offering extra credit to the child for being willing to help. A lot of teachers don't do this, but, heck, helping another kid in class everyday is hard work!!!
lillian is offline   Reply With Quote

gardenko

Old 09-10-2007, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks, I will try that.
Parent denial....his parents think that he should speak only Spanish, so they will not sign the paperwork to enter him in the ESL program. Their theory is that if he is not in the program then he can still speak Spanish and get the education he needs, but if he is in ESL then he is forced to learn English. I don't really agree, but I'm not the parent
But I do like the idea of giving him a study buddy and then rewarding that student. Thanks!

lillian

Really?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow! That's interesting, and I've never had a parent with that attitude. I wish them a lot of luck sending their child to public school in the U.S. and not allowing their child to speak English. !
lillian is offline   Reply With Quote