Help

ESL/LEP

ESL not valued

>

Tiamat

ESL not valued
Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently the ESL teacher in my school, which is 56% students from a non-English speaking background. Some are new arrivals in the country, some were born here, but English isn't generally spoken in their home. They come from a wide variety of nationalities and languages. I'm busy.

But the admin doesn't seem to think so. We are short of casual teachers (substitutes) and when a casual can't be found, my program is "collapsed" for the day and I take the class. I actually quite enjoy it (I'd rather be a class teacher anyway) but I recently checked my program for the year and, since Easter, there has been ONE week that my ESL program ran as timetabled for the whole week. Every other week (and we haven't had summer holidays in there) there has been some level of disruption. Sometimes only a couple of hours, sometimes up to three days.

It's frustrating to me that I am accountable for these kids' progress in English, but I am constantly being taken away from teaching them. My records are good of exactly when and what I was doing other than my usual job, but it still bothers me.

Does this happen anywhere else?

Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Esl
Old 08-11-2016, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm in the United States, and don't really know how education in Australia works, but:

I had the same problem. In fact, if I happened to be gone, I didn't even get a sub for the day. But now, we use Charlotte Danielson as put evaluation model, and 39-50% of our evaluation is weighted with a student growth percentage...based on DATA showing how much our students learned...which obviously is supposed to reflect how well we teach. It's nuts, because outlying factors are not currently considered, and men/healthy people are substantially favored, as your data is still collected/counts against you if you are on maternity leave or sick leave.

I brought this up to my principal. My not seeing my students on a routine schedule hurts my SGP. It hurts their learning, because they are allowed to be in the program. Then when their scores are low, my SGP is affected...which could lose me my job!

Do you have anything like that you could use as a bit of "leverage?" I'm so sorry it happens in a lot of places, and is very frustrating. You know it's not right! You know it's not fair! But you alone cannot shift mass opinion overnight.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Glad it's not just me.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They never hire a casual to replace me, ever. If I'm out for any reason, they collapse my program again.

However, my job doesn't depend on anything like this. As long as I have my documentation in place as to why I was off my program, I'm covered. It's just that if I'm spending the day with Year 1, my ESL kids in 5 and 6 are missing out. Again. And it makes planning difficult, if I don't know where I'm going to be day to day.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote