Help

Intervention & Title I Services

parent involvement ideas

>

relax

parent involvement ideas
Old 08-23-2016, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am interviewing for a Title IA teaching position on Thursday. I need to bring 5 ideas for parental involvement. Any blockbuster activities out there? TIA

relax is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Parent Involvement
Old 08-24-2016, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work part time as an interventionist. Here are some parent involvement activities my students do each night with parents.

1. Kindergarten - At the beginning of the year, I work with kindergarteners who can not yet identify the letters of the alphabet and their sounds. (My district has a 4K program where alphabet identification and sounds are taught, but in 5K there are usually four to six students who did not attend 4K or did not pass PALS testing in 4K.)

We use Jolly Phonics in 5K, which introduces one letter per day. Each night, students go home with another letter (upper case and lower case) flash cards. Parents review letters with the child (identify letter and sound) each night. Letters are placed in a plastic bag.

I also made little booklets with the upper and lower case letters on the cover. Inside are pictures beginning with the focus letter and the upper and lower case letters. Kindergarteners read these booklets to their parents...say the name of the picture and the sound of the letter three times. (snake...S s...S s...S s; sun...S s...S s...S s; sink...S s...S s...S s; etc.)

I found some blank game boards that I printed on 8 1/2" x 11" paper. In each square on the game board, I wrote the upper case and lower case letters we studied. This activity is done about ever six letters. The child rolls a die and moves that many spaces on the game board (was so surprised 5K students did not know how to do this so it takes a great deal of practice). We play these games in class for several days. Students say the name of the letter and its sound. Then the game board is sent home for home practice along with a signature sheet.

Another activity (once I have introduced six or more letters), is students begin to build simple words. For example, when I have introduced s, a, t, i, d, and e, students use individual letters to build words like it, sit, at, sat, sad, set. We practice these in class for about a week. Then I send home the six letters and a list of words. Parents cut out the letters and dictate the words/say the word by stretching it letter sound by letter sound. Students build the words using the letters. Parents sign a signature sheet that this activity has been completed.

2. Reading intervention - My district uses Leveled Literacy Intervention (Fountas and Pinnell) for reading intervention, tier 2. Each day, a new book is introduced. Students read the book with me twice. The following day they review the book. That night, the book goes home with a few questions. The child reads the book to the parent, the parent asks the questions that the child answers aloud, parent signs the question sheet, and child returns the book and sheet the following day.

3. Math intervention - My district uses Math Recovery for math intervention, tier 2. Each day in class, we spend three to five minutes on math facts. A new fact or two is introduced each day. Each child adds the fact/s to their bag of fact cards. These cards along with a signature sheet are sent home each night for practice and returned the next day.

For my kindergarteners and low 1st graders, number identification is very important. Each day, I introduce a new number (or two). These flash cards are added to the number bag. These cards along with a signature sheet are sent home each night for practice and returned the next day.

My kindergarten staff also sends home free websites for parents to use with their child. For intervention students, these websites include letter identification and sounds, listening to stories, counting object and matching with a number, etc.

I hope some of these ideas help you.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

relax

Old 08-24-2016, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks Connie. These ideas will definitely go into my list!
relax is offline   Reply With Quote