Help

New Teachers

Handicap? Or lie about it.

>

Oncidium

Handicap? Or lie about it.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Background information. In 2005, I was hit by a car while riding a bike, and one leg was crushed. The leg was rebuilt with a lot of titanium and screws, rather than amputated. I have been in pain ever since.

As a soon-to-be teacher I am wondering how to explain the fact that I cannot get around as well as others in the same position. Yes, I am older, and have several careers, but I also have a "bum" leg. I do not know what to call it. It is not prosthetic, but there is a lot of metal, and a lot of screws. My leg swells, and I feel pain quite a bit. I am not classified as "handicapped." but I cannot run, cannot walk a long distance, cannot sit cross legged on the floor, cannot stand for much more than 10 minutes at a time without pain (I can do it, in fact, I have stood for 8 hour shifts, but must keep lifting my foot, and propping up my leg and so forth.) If I stand for 8 hour shifts, I need to take the next day off. I am in so much pain. Also, since I have metal in my legs, my legs hurt when there is a weather situation, like rain, or storms. The sharp ends of the broken bones also destroyed veins in my legs, and the ensuing vein problems are a part of the pain. (When the leg was hit, it screwed around backward)

So, my question. Should I bring this up at all?

All this time I have been avoiding this reality about myself. There are Principals who look down on teachers who must sit for awhile whether behind the desk or not. So, does the fact that I actually NEED to sit in order to avoid serious pain, and will always need to sit, at least part of the day, cause me to lose Jobs?

Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

dee

In our school
Old 08-24-2016, 02:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A letter from the doc is needed and given to the nurse. You may or may not qualify for a 504 plan, but that would help.

In our district, if you can do the job, it doesn't matter.
dee is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-24-2016, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wouldn't talk about it in interviews, unless for some reason you interview for a position that you would absolutely need accommodations (thinking something like PE teacher.). After you get hired, if there are things that your supervisor expects that you cannot do, then talk to them about getting a 504. Duty is one of those things that may need accommodated and a 504 will allow,p and protect you. But I wouldn't go in to an interview saying your limitations. I wouldn't lie about it, but I would be careful about what I do say. They can't ask about it, but if you have a limp, I guess they could ask something that might tempt you to be completely honest and tell all. But I wouldn't. I would skirt around it (I haven't let anything stop me physically from doing anything I ever wanted to do).

Btw, my mom has similar issues from a car crash. Never, ever make yourself stand long enough to have to take a day to recover, if there is any way around it! It gets harder as you age, so that yourself good now. Good luck in your future endeavors.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

Welp...
Old 08-24-2016, 08:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What grade will you be teaching?

High school might not be an issue, but our elementary school teachers are pretty active.

This is the deal. If you can hack it, with out any accommodations, I wouldn't tell. If by an chance you may need accommodation, I would fess up now.

Why?

Under ADA law, if you have something like your leg issue (I'm more familar with Aspergers issues), they do not have to accommodate since you did not inform them before the hiring.

I would run this past someone familiar with ADA law. I know for Aspergers, if you do not disclose that you need to be out of the cubicle farm, need a more flexible schedule, need an extended time for learning the job, the job doesn't have to do squat. Depending on the boss, they'll actively try to get rid of you.

This topic comes up repeatedly on the mental health, ADHD and Aspergers adult forums. Do you disclose? A good boss will look past that because he/she really wants you. Also, my district requires a physical. I had to squat down and stand up without help, and also stand on each leg for so many seconds. Of course it was to weed out people with mobility issues.

People mentioned a 504. Here it is for employees who have past the probation period and it is a new issue. You might be able to finesse it as new issue, if your doctor is willing to help.

I guess it comes down to the job and the administration.

I wish you the best of luck. From your other posts, it sounds like you will make an excellent teacher.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 08-24-2016, 06:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is a difference between sitting behind a desk reading a newspaper and sitting in the front of the class still actively interacting and teaching. I would do the interview, accept the job, and teach how you teach. If the principal mentions it, I would explain the issue briefly and let them know how I was compensating: Sitting on a wheelie desk chair and scooting around while teaching, or whatever is appropriate for the grade level. I wouldn't start by asking for anything from the principal, I'd just have a plan in place to make everything work. As long as you can manage your classroom and you are not expecting accommodations that change your job (i.e. P.E. or Dance teacher wouldn't be a great fit for you), I wouldn't worry too much about it.

LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Oncidium

Old 08-24-2016, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That's okay, I am no longer seeking employment as a Teacher.
Oncidium is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 08-24-2016, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What changed between yesterday and today?
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

TheFlyingPen

Not true
Old 08-31-2016, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It is YOUR choice to tell when and if you disclose a condition. Once they are made aware of the situation, they MUST under the law accommodate.

I would get documentation from a doctor and also see an employment attorney. Your accident (sorry, by the way!) should NOT limit your career!!!

Best of luck.
-FP
TheFlyingPen is offline   Reply With Quote