ESL/LEP

Discipline system for pull-out groups?

>

Helen07

Discipline system for pull-out groups?
Old 08-24-2016, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all,

I am a first-year ESL teacher working with Kindergarten and grades 2-3, and I am trying to decide what discipline system to use for the year. I've found a lot of information on classroom management systems for classroom teachers, but my situation is a little more specific since I teach pull-out groups for about 45 minutes at a time. The classroom teachers in my school use the system where they move clothespins along a colored card, and at the end of the day they go home with a color. Do you think it would work for me to do the same thing on a miniature scale, and have them receive a color at the end of the pull-out group? Or should I do something totally different?

Thanks in advance!

Helen07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Old 08-24-2016, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do a similar sort of thing in my pull out classes. Kids can move up or down a sliding behaviour scale and, at the end of my session, receive a level which is reported to their class teacher (and works in with the whole school behaviour system). Because it's whole school, I don't have a lot of choice, but it works well with my kids (our high needs behaviour kids, who aren't ESL, don't care a hoot about the system).

Be aware that kindergarten, at the beginning of the year, will likely have no idea what is going on and not understand the colour system at all, especially ESL kids, who probably aren't understanding much at all.

Good luck!
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 08-24-2016, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm a sped teacher, but I also teach 45 minute pull out groups. I would start with something simple and add on if you see that behavior is a problem. Our ELL kids tend to be the sweetest and most well behaved kids, so you may not need a fancy system. If the school uses a color chart, I would use one in your room too, but have the consequences/rewards be something that you can implement within your own room. Others may disagree, but IMO putting everything back on the classroom teacher sends the message that you aren't the "real teacher." Saying, "I have to put you on red and tell your teacher" sounds like, "I can't handle your behavior, so I'm going to tell your real teacher and she can deal with it." I have a few minutes of preferred activity time at the end of each of my lessons. Depending on the grade level and severity of behaviors within the specific group, this could vary between total free time for kids that need extra motivation and a teacher led academic game for groups that are generally not a problem. Students who follow our agreed upon rules (we come up with them together at the beginning of the year) can participate while those who don't write sentences explaining what they'll do differently next time. If a student has a significant issue, I make sure I'm the one to call the parent. With sped of course I have a lot of kids on individual behavior plans too.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

I would love to handle it myself
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

bt that isn't permitted in our school system. Everything goes to the classroom teacher for that magical end of day Gold Star (or not!). I also can't make my own rules.

I would much prefer to have my own consequences and rewards in my own room.
Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Helen07

Old 08-25-2016, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the thoughts, guys! I think my school will allow me to construct my own behavior system. My current plan is to give each child a 4oz container with five pennies in it, and if they do a good job they get another penny, and if they need to think about their choices they lose a penny. Now I just need to figure out what my reward will be for them when they keep all their pennies!

Helen07 is offline   Reply With Quote

RaceFan18

Old 08-26-2016, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I don't really have a system. I have very small classes, so I don't have a lot of discipline problems. The younger ones respond well to rewarding good behavior. A sticker at the end of the day for listening well or a prize box to visit at the end of the week works well. Those are things I've had success with even though it isn't technically a system.
RaceFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Discipline
Old 09-06-2016, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I did a simple incentive chart. One of the big ones so each student had two lines. Each day, one sticker was given for attendance, and another if there were no corrections during their group time. Stickers were given on the way out the door; it took less than two minutes to do.

The key to discipline in small groups is quick and effective, because you don't get much time with groups. I didn't have much of an issue in small group, but it still pays to have SOMETHING in case you need it.
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

shoe

management for pull out group
Old 09-06-2016, 09:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I pull out students, too. Some of my groups have 20 students in them. I use Class Dojo with them and they love it. With the Dojo, I'm able to communicate to each child's parent even though I'm not their homeroom teacher. All you need is a computer, ipad, cell phone etc.
shoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Princess303

Discipline Ideas
Old 09-27-2016, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would write a note to parent on the classroom teacher's daily report since this is usually signed nightly and returned. Or I would inform the general education teacher to include your remarks in her discipline/reward system.

Another option is to give treats at the end of your class for those students who followed directions and stayed on task. A treat could consist of a sticker, a stamp on paper, candy, etc.

Another option would be to keep a class chart and give stickers. After a student has earned 10 stickers (for example), then reward them with a decorative pencil, popcorn party, ice pop, etc.

I would definitely use the school-wide rules to be consistent.

I just read this today. I apologize for the delay.

Have a great school year!!
Princess303 is offline   Reply With Quote
LastMinute123
Old 09-27-2016, 01:51 PM
This message has been deleted by LastMinute123.