Help

Gifted Education

Gifted child in gen ed 1st grade

>

senseigold

Gifted child in gen ed 1st grade
Old 08-26-2016, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach first grade and will be starting the year with a gifted child and limited/no gifted support. She is reading well above grade level, with comprehension, her math and writing are also well above although maybe not as high as her reading.
She is a young first grader and somewhat immature.

In addition to this young lady, I also have at least one new child who does not know the letters of the alphabet (I know, I know a typical first grade classroom).

I don't want to short change my gifted kid while making sure my other children are meeting grade level expectations.

What activities do you all recommend?
Any and all help is appreciated.
Thank you!!

senseigold is offline   Reply With Quote

Gopherbrain

GT 1st Grader
Old 08-27-2016, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here are some thoughts/ideas....I teach GT students in 1st-4th grade, so I understand the difficulty in challenging a young child.

*Is there a 2nd grade reading group she could attend during the school day? Single Subject Acceleration

*Make sure she always has books that are at her reading level. This can be tricky because books at her level may not be appropriate for her age level. Check out hoagiesgifted.org

*Math Rules! is a great resource that she could work on independently. www.piecesoflearning.com $19.95 includes 1st/2nd math

*If she has access to the internet, I have my students explore wonderopolis.org . She could do some research and create a poster, etc. to share with the class what she's learned about a certain topic. This is part of the Genius Hour movement.

*I focus a lot on vocabulary and comprehension with my first graders. Jacob's Ladder Reading Comprehension prufrock.com

Best of luck!
Gopherbrain is offline   Reply With Quote