Help

Sixth Grade

Early Finishers

>

smileyta

Early Finishers
Old 09-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach three 6th grade cores of social studies and science. I haven't taught it in 12 years, and when I did it was self contained. I am figuring things out day by day. My question is what do you do with early finishers? We are working on 2 projects right now so everyone is at a different spot. Any suggestions? This was my first project and I learned so much. I now know what I can expect from them, how detailed I need to be on expectations and directions, and a better idea on classroom management. I came from 2nd grade where I knew the curriculum like the back of my hand. Eventually I will figure this out, but if there is some quick ideas for early finishers I would love to hear

smileyta is offline   Reply With Quote

lifelearner

Early Finishers
Old 09-11-2007, 08:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, early finishers are also tough for me. I try to set a precedent at the beginning of the year that anyone who finishes early should check their work. Also, the early finishers can help other students complete the activity or assignment. Perhaps there is a chore you can have them complete for you. I know this may not be the ideal answer to early finishers because I struggle with this myself. I know of other teachers who make a poster at the beginning of the year with things students can do when they have completed their classwork. Reading, writing etc. But most teachers agree that early finishers cannot just sit and do nothing.
lifelearner is offline   Reply With Quote

nhmtns

Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have some eager students who work very quickly. When they finish their regular assignments and check their work for errors, they have the option of completing challenge tasks that I keep at my desk. In SS for example, I use sheets that give hints about specific landmarks somewhere in the world. Using resources such as computers or reference books, students try to identify the names and locations of the landmarks. These students are usually the more motivated ones and they really love challenging themselves and working independently.
nhmtns is offline   Reply With Quote

purplealum

Tic-Tac-Toe Challenge for early finishers
Old 11-03-2007, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have a challenge board in my room for early finishers. It's a tic-tac-toe board with 9 different challenges on it that I rotate from time to time. Students must complete 3 (in a row for a tic-tac-toe) challenges and turn them in for a free 100. I teach math, but I put journal prompts and life skills activities on there too. The kids like it!
purplealum is offline   Reply With Quote

lilydog

Examples
Old 07-31-2011, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

do you have any examples of your challenge tasks? I love this idea!

lilydog is offline   Reply With Quote
BigMama6th

BigMama6th

Landmark
Old 08-12-2011, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I would love to see a copy of your Landmark Scavenger Hunt! Would you feel comfortable emailing me a copy?!