Substitute Teachers

Substitute Teacher Post-a-thon

>

MaineSub

Substitute Teacher Post-a-thon
Old 09-17-2016, 02:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Tell us:

What is something you teach often and in what grade that you particularly look forward to and why?

MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-17-2016, 02:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I love teaching high school chemistry! (Probably that's because I am a retired high school chemistry teacher. ) I get to teach in my old classroom. It's fun to get the AP kids...I taught them when they were sophomores, so I like seeing their progress.
lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Subinnc

Middle School Math
Old 09-17-2016, 04:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would also love high school math or chem, but I don't know any of the high school teachers well enough that they would leave me "real" plans.

In general, though, I love middle school. Specifically, middle school math, but I'll do any subject.
Subinnc is offline   Reply With Quote

mooba1

Old 09-17-2016, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My love is English Language Arts, especially reading. I work at the elementary level,and there's nothing like reading a great book to kids,and seeing them engaged and making connections to the story.

ETA: My favorite grade is third, but I really enjoy all the elementary grades. Well, except for kinder.

Thanks, MaineSub, for agreeing to lead this discussion. I look forward to reading everyone's perspectives.
mooba1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Mine
Old 09-17-2016, 04:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Anything middle school! I adore 8th graders (I know, I know...I have a problem). But my absolute favorite is American History. That is taught in 7th grade now. But really, except for the intensive special ed, I will teach anything middle school. I am signed up to teach fourth through high school. Nothing lower. Give me those middle school kids. They are awesome!

mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

twofold
Old 09-17-2016, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

As a regular math teacher, I love teaching the unit on quadratic especially when they work with square pattern blocks. They were supposed to derive a rule for how a pattern changes. As a supply math teacher, it could be for any lesson that I may tweak so they're working in teams. I like hearing their talk about what they're learning.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

theapple

Mine
Old 09-17-2016, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I loved all subjects when I subbed in elementary grades. When I subbed middle school, I loved every subject but math. I never really had a reason. But, if I had to choose just one subject, I would have to say social studies as I love history.

My favorite grade levels has been and always will be 2nd-5th.

There are some days I miss being a sub, but wouldn't give up my SPED position for anything.
theapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Sublime

Old 09-17-2016, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Middle school math. I don't get to do it a lot but I really enjoy it.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Elementary
Old 09-17-2016, 02:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I sub at primarily one elementary school. I like each grade for different reasons, but it seems I sub most in the first grade. This is also where most of my sub experience was and I student taught in a first grade classroom at a different school.

We teach all subjects at the elementary level, but I especially enjoy guided reading. That is a nice time to interact with students. I truly enjoy working with students who are learning to read.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

jeopardyfan

Old 09-17-2016, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I really like teaching Life Skills students as they can be a lot of fun.

I also like mid elementary---grades 2, and 3. They're fairly independent, but still young enough to want to listen to an adult.

jeopardyfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jen93

Special Education
Old 09-17-2016, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love elementary special education classes- I find students in these classes to be so sweet! And I love the small class sizes and the ability to work 1-on-1 with the students!
Jen93 is offline   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Science!
Old 09-17-2016, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I loved teaching science when I was a 2nd grade teacher. My favorite units were The Solar System, Pebbles, Sand, & Silt (rocks, geology), and Animals of Jackson Hole. I always started off the year with Insects. The reason I loved teaching these things was because my students.... ALL of my students adored science. They were super motivated to learn everything they could absorb about these subjects. As a sub I seldom get to teach science, but some science activities are excellent time fillers when the students have completed their work. I mostly sub in the primary grades, but found the students still have that excitement and joy discovering new things! They LOVE hands on experiments. Always throw a few quick science activities or questions into my sub bag.
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

little ones
Old 09-18-2016, 11:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I like to sub for the littlest students in preschool and kindergarten. I usually go to one school in our district and the secretary knows to put me there if she can. The kids are very loving. When I am in different rooms, they see me in the hall and give me hugs and high fives. So adorable
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Sirsubalot

Old 09-18-2016, 01:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I have multiple learning disabilities, including mild autism.

This gives me an advantage in M/M special ed since I can identify with the students and have lots of patience with them.

I love to see them develop confidence in themselves.
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Primary educator
Old 09-18-2016, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach primary students predominantly, actually all the time as a sub, 2-3 days per week. I prefer 2nd and 3rd grade classes but will do 4th, 5th if I know the classes through Roving assignments. I've been subbing for 20-years since 1997...
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 09-19-2016, 12:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

When I sub elementary, the subject I most look forward to is math. I love watching those light bulbs go on as they realize all the things they can do with numbers!

I also do a lot of preschool. What I most look forward to there is getting to know the kids, because they will be "my" students for the next several years as they progress up through the grades, and I love watching them grow!
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

piddleloop

Old 09-19-2016, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

High school art

Especially darkroom photography (yes still at our high school) and digital photography

2D and 3D

Ceramics
piddleloop is offline   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Thank you, all!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

What an interesting diversity! Thanks to all for sharing... Personally, I love the littles and variety of subjects. This year we are "moving" fourth through six graders in a manner similar to middle and high school, so (in theory) there's more focus. One upside is is that it does allow teachers to teach the subjects they prefer...

MiCharlie124

Old 09-20-2016, 06:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Mine is high school language arts (especially 9th/10th grade), history, and special ed. I don't do elementary schools. Our high schools get out at 2:15; our elementary schools at 3:45.
MiCharlie124 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerabbit

High order think skills
Old 09-20-2016, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

No matter the grade or subject I like students to think outside the box. Right answers are great but answers that you can back up and just express your thoughts are even better.
readerabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

lilyclaire

Old 09-20-2016, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Really prefer subbing for Special Ed because of the small group setting. Managing an entire classroom is becoming more and more exhausting. I know the Special Ed teachers have a load of paperwork and their job is not easy but I do enjoy subbing in their rooms especially when we can sit around a table and have good discussions.
lilyclaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbielibro

My first love
Old 09-20-2016, 08:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

My first love and contract position was as school librarian, and I love being in the library, reading to kids, showing them how to use tech, checking out books. Having taught it gives me an advantage. I like grades 3-8, especially middle school. I really enjoy sped. I like reading class a great deal, and then science.
Newbielibro is offline   Reply With Quote

mkesub

Old 09-21-2016, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

My ideal grades are 1 through 5. I like to do High School once in awhile too. I find it easy and restful but boring. Middle school and kindergarten both seem to tire me out!

As far as subjects I like reading/language arts best. My least favorite subject to teach is math. I've always been able to understand and do math, but I find it very hard to explain.

Gym or art teacher is a pretty good gig for me too. But NOT music - I am so not musical that I wouldn't even want to attempt it.
mkesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Illini Teacher

Middle school or high school!
Old 09-21-2016, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I prefer middle school science or social studies, but high school performing arts or foreign language classes are pretty fun!

I was a middle school social studies teacher, so it comes pretty naturally to step in and teach. I am also certified in science and I LOVE the challenge.

Illini
Illini Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 09-22-2016, 05:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I cover grades TK-8. My favorite grades are 2-4, resource, ELD, and library. I can do middle school if needed, but I prefer not to,
Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

Old 09-23-2016, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Like subbing for the reading teacher. I have also found that I enjoy 4th graders when I thought I preferred little ones.
ar719 is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

Thanks again...
Old 09-26-2016, 07:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Again, thanks to all who've posted... what an interesting diversity!

YayaSub

Open Mind
Old 09-27-2016, 05:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

When I started subbing I had a horrible experience with some 6th and 8th graders. I didn't take any middle school jobs again for a LONG time, until jobs were scarce and I had to if I wanted to work. It turned out that I had just had some BAD classes (combined with my inexperience). Now middle school is my hands-down favorite. Same thing with a "shop"-type class. I didn't realize what it was when I accepted, but I hated to cancel it. That was eye-opening, because I got to see some of the struggling students really shine when they were doing something they loved and were good at. Variety is great, and don't let one bad day keep you from returning.
YayaSub is offline   Reply With Quote