Help

ESL/LEP

Need help with 100% ELL class

>

cominback

Need help with 100% ELL class
Old 09-17-2016, 07:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am starting my first year teaching second grade in a school for immigrants. All my students are Somali. I am not an ESL teacher, but I'm looking for help. The Title 1 teacher tested all my students in reading. About half are k level. Most of the rest are early 1st grade. Only 3 are beginning second grade level. I have second grade reading curriculum, but I don't see how it makes sense to use it at this time. I believe I would have the support of the administration if I did something different, but I don't know if they'd want to spend huge amounts of money. I could design my own materials or find things online, but that is so time consuming. Does anyone have suggestions of what to use?

cominback is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Ell
Old 09-17-2016, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would strongly suggest the Reading A-Z and RAZ Kids online program.
Reading A-Z has books of every level, and many have accompanying activities. Many are available in French, Soanish, and American and Britush English. Several of my African students spoke French; some were relatively literate in it. That could be a resource for you to pull in stories that your class can focus on.
RAZ is an awesome intervention. As a teacher, your subscription includes a set number of accounts. You assign an account to each student and set their reading level. They go into their book room and must listen, read, and take quizzes on each book in they'd level before they can move on to the next level. They can also record themselves reading and send it to you.l via the iPad app, and I often used that to help me keep a pulse on reading levels.
I'd also do quite a bit of author studies. You can do Cybthia Rylant with the Henry and Mudge books as read alouds. Gail Gibbons, Mo Willems, Doreen Cronin, and so on. Then you can talk about biographies, too.
MissESL is offline   Reply With Quote

LastMinute123

Old 09-17-2016, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Does your school have a first grade curriculum? Why not use that? You can use small group time to do K-level interventions on the lower students.
LastMinute123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 09-18-2016, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Ask a TESOL teacher for an ESL curriculum? I use Avenues and Treasure Chest. No sense exhausting yourself in re-inventing the wheel.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

cominback

thanks
Old 09-18-2016, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for all the ideas! Our Title 1 teacher uses Reading A-Z, so I can check with her about using that. I'm not sure about using the first grade curriculum, since most of the students went through that last year and it might be discouraging to do the same stories again. We are in desperate need of a TESOL teacher, but I could check with one I know at another school about Avenues and Treasure Chest.

cominback is offline   Reply With Quote
Suggestion

Suggestion

Oral Language Development
Old 09-28-2017, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Sometimes I think we forget the importance of oral language development in our rush to teach reading and writing. I believe that literacy instruction gets a huge boost when students have a solid foundation of speaking and listening skills. With this in mind, I recommend that you initially place an emphasis on activities that foster the development of oral communication skills. Language lessons in which students engage in choral responses to the teacher are used worldwide with such groups of students (but not often in the U.S.). You can learn how this is effectively done by watching videos on the web. I would augment your lessons by showing daily BrainPOP movies to help students learn important facts and concepts. Finally, be sure to always model proper syntax by speaking in complete sentences and requiring your students to do likewise.