Gifted Education

Gifted Teachers Post-a-Thon

>

ccsteacher001

Gifted Teachers Post-a-Thon
Old 09-17-2016, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello Gifted Teachers!

What is something you teach gifted students every year that you particularly looked forward to and why?

Personally, I like teaching STEM related challenges that connect students with students from other schools. There is one called the Pringles Challenge that my 5th graders loved last year.

ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Year Two
Old 09-17-2016, 06:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is my second year but I love anything science related!
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

two years
Old 09-17-2016, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well I'm in a state where GATE is determined by district funding soooooooooooo I was fortunate to have GATE cluster students two years in a row about 4-5 years ago. What I loved most was teaching content areas from different perspectives while working backwards to achieve their goals. While many students seemed proficient in their math skills and concepts they struggled into making real world connections. In other words they were hesitant in attempting creative risks. I was able to incorporate experiential opportunities and process logs into the planned instruction. I wish I still had a sample of my logs because I used both checklists and journal writing logs. Now they are called interactive journals maybe . . . . but with a distinct path towards generating insight and transferring that insight into other areas as well.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Vicary

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
Old 09-18-2016, 06:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I taught daily reading, writing and math to gifted fourth and fifth graders for many years. For my fifth graders, I loved teaching Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor. There is so much history to be taught along with the novel. Characters, plot development, writer's craft...all so rich. I always said "they" would have to pry that book out of my cold, dead hands before I would give up teaching that novel. I retired five years ago and never looked back, so I have no idea if any of the teachers who replaced me used the books and years worth of lesson plans and supplementary materials that I left in my classroom.

We also used Singapore Math as our basic text. It is fantastic!
Vicary is online now   Reply With Quote

CampbellPre-K

Post-a-thon
Old 09-18-2016, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is my first year to teach a pull-out GT class. I really enjoy doing STEM projects to get the kids really thinking.

CampbellPre-K is offline   Reply With Quote

Eliza

Math!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love teaching anything related to math. Not the procedural parts that they seem to memorize so easily, but pushing them to understand conceptually things like place value, fractions, decimals, and algebra.
Eliza is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 09-18-2016, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach pull-out GATE, which is primarily ELA based, but ties in science and history. I also loop with my youngest students, so I can't teach the same thing year after year.

This year, I'm teaching my third graders a kids' version of Beowulf that ties in history lessons about Vikings and blacksmithing. I just finished a unit about the history of pretzels with my 1st and 2nd graders, and next week we will begin a unit on bats.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

nyteacher29

First
Old 09-18-2016, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This is my first year teaching gifted, out of my 5 classes, 2 are gifted. I am excited to see the different ways in which they express their learning. We are going to focus on the research at home and then they illustrate their learning however they want. I am also excited to take a step back and use more Socratic seminars
nyteacher29 is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Old 09-18-2016, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Eliza - Have you tried Hands-on Equations? I really like using that to teach foundational algebra concepts.

Mrs. Lilbit - I'm very interested in the kids' version of Beowulf - tell me more - where did you find it or did you create it? The history of the pretzel sounds like a fun unit too.

nyteacher29 - You are going to love teaching gifted. What grade level? I found that even though students are gifted, upper Elem. still need a lot of guidance when we do our research. Locating and evaluating the credibility of sources is especially tricky for them.

Eliza

I love HoE
Old 09-18-2016, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I do level I with my third graders and level II with my fourth graders. We use Interact's Algebra into the Unknown with the second grade.

Eliza is offline   Reply With Quote

greyhack66

Things I love so far
Old 09-18-2016, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I love the Oreo stacking contest (google it it is free and the results are posted for all to see) just to connect to other schools for math. I am working on building a zoo activity (from teachers pay teachers) with my fourth graders I have my classes two hours a week. With fifth graders I am working on a cereal box autobiographies. But I am interested in the Beowulf activities as well as the Pringles one (if you are willing to share)

Last edited by greyhack66; 09-18-2016 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
greyhack66 is offline   Reply With Quote

greyhack66

Old 09-18-2016, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I hope you are able and willing to share your work with Beowulf! It sounds like fun!
greyhack66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 09-18-2016, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

All of the units I use are written by fellow gifted teachers in my district. We are using the book the version by Michael Morpurgo.

In addition to reading the story, I have had the students design their own coat of arms, write a newspaper "Help Wanted" ad for a dragon tamer, write poetry using alliteration, research the history of the original Beowulf manuscript, and work on various medieval/Viking themed brainteasers and puzzles. We will eventually research the Vikings and talk about blacksmithing, before taking a field trip to our local ornamental metal museum where we will get to watch an actual blacksmith forge an iron sword.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

sparklinteach

2nd grade gifted
Old 09-19-2016, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

This is my first year teacher gifted, after teaching 10 years in a regular ed. classroom. I am enjoying our robotics unit so far. We have built, tested, and used Vex IQ, Wonder's Dash robot, and Ozobot so far. The students are very interested in coding and programming the robots.
sparklinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Old 09-19-2016, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Greyhack66 - I love the OREO project too. Here is a link to the Pringles Challenge.