High School Board Post-A-Thon!

>

AMDucky

High School Board Post-A-Thon!
Old 09-17-2016, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

High School Post-a-thon!

Hey all you High School teachers,

Tell us: What is something you enjoying teaching every year in High School that you particularly look forward to and why?

You could post a favourite lesson, subject, grade level, grading or organizing technique. Anything that you love and why!

AMDucky is offline   Reply With Quote

AMDucky

Old 09-17-2016, 04:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have to say the best part of teaching High School is the students. For the most part the students are respectful; we will always have a few defiant ones in public school. I feel that as this age, students have a better appreciation for their teachers. They come to you for advice and respect your opinions. I truly feel that I'm molding the future and am making a difference. I've also taught 9th grade and tend to feel like I'm a glorified babysitter. Teaching 11th is where it's at!

dismayedyear7

The Crucible
Old 09-17-2016, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love teaching my 11th graders The Crucible! It's so easy to incorporate US History (witch trials and McCarthyism). They are interested and love to see it relating to their lives and being accused of something. When we read it, they love the relationship between Abigail and Proctor, and they like acting out Tituba's character. I bought a Puritan outfit and will be wearing it next week! They are going to be shocked!
dismayedyear7 is offline   Reply With Quote

teabreak

9th grade
Old 09-17-2016, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love teaching 9th graders. They come to us as children and leave us as young adults and invite us, sometimes unwillingly, into this journey with them. I also love the curriculum in English for 9th grade. We get to read To Kill a Mockingbird and I am able to share my love of this story with the students. They don't always love it, but they have a respect for it when they are done.
teabreak is offline   Reply With Quote

historyguy88

Old 09-17-2016, 08:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love teaching high schoolers because it's fun to see them figure everything out and grow. Being a history teacher i think my favorite unit is the immigration unit. It's cool to see the curiosity spark about where there family came from and what they had to go through. I think it can be an eye opening experience for them.

historyguy88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Social Studies
Old 09-18-2016, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I enjoy teaching social studies and U.S. History. As someone advanced in years, I can recall some of these historical events personally. I often share my military experience, and my service in Vietnam. - rdl
4048 is offline   Reply With Quote

AMDucky

Old 09-18-2016, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Dismayed ... I am with you. We're teachingThe Crucible next week too. It's by far my favorite thing to teach as well.

Teacher_twins

Old 09-18-2016, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What is something you enjoying teaching every year in High School that you particularly look forward to and why?
In all honesty, my favorite thing to teach is my syllabus/all about me. I love to talk about myself as a teacher and what to look forward to over the course of the year.

You could post a favorite lesson, subject, grade level, grading or organizing technique. Anything that you love and why!
My favorite grade to teach is either a predominately ninth grade or twelfth grade class. This year I teach predominately twelfth grade math classes (AP Calculus and AP Statistics) with a few eleventh graders sprinkled in there.
For grading, I love to use the metallic (usually silver) Sharpie markers.
My favorite organization technique is I use the 3 drawer containers from Steralite and I put all the papers I need to grade (by period) in the appropriate drawer, then I use another set for my graded work that I need to pass back. I also have another set of drawers that has my frequently-used school forms such as copy requests, hall passes, and Activity Request Forms.
I am also fortunate that I have three teacher's assistants that come to class every day except Tuesday and Thursday, so I have a little station set up for them in the back of the room that has a binder with all the tasks I need for them to do for that day, and they just check it off when they finish it. I typically do that at the end of the day right before I leave, so I have it ready for the next day, even if I have a sub. So I have like a file rack that houses all the stuff I need for them to do, so maybe I need one TA to grade the multiple choice section of a test (granted they do not take that class) and I need another one to go to the TPA to sort the Algebra Nation books and the last one to hang up posters for the upcoming musical. And sometimes I will let other teachers borrow them if I don't have any work for them that day.
Teacher_twins is offline   Reply With Quote

its3am

Favorite Things
Old 09-18-2016, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have taught 9th grade English for 17 years, and my favorite thing is...all of it! I love my students, and every week when I look at my agenda to see what's ahead, I give a little squeal when I see a journal that is always a hit with the kids, a project that always yields fantastic results, etc. We are reading Lois Duncan's KILLING MR. GRIFFIN right now, and my kids think they are junior detectives when in reality they are nailing inference and prediction and are completing college level writing with paired texts from Psychology Today magazine.
its3am is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-21-2016, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm a chemistry teacher, and I love those lessons that get kids thinking about the evidence we have for things we cannot see.

How do we know that atoms exist? How can we understand the properties of materials by thinking about the structure of the particles that make it up?

These abstract ideas are really tough for high school kids--it's a cognitive stretch, for sure. I love finding ways to help them figure it out. That's the challenge and fun of teaching!

lisa53 is online now   Reply With Quote

Julian

Old 12-02-2016, 11:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Oh yes, these are my favorite things to teach too. It's always interesting to hear what the kids have to say.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote