Gifted Education

Pursuing this career

>

livluvteach

Pursuing this career
Old 09-22-2016, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone!

I am currently pursuing my B.S. in Elm Ed, but I have been thinking about teaching Gifted & Talented students. I love to teach students how to recognize their gifts and use them! My question is how would I go about this career and what credentials would I need?

Also, I am only starting to look into this field, so any information that you feel the need to give would be extremely helpful!

Thank you!!

livluvteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 09-23-2016, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The answer to your question depends on the state in which you intend to work. In my state, teachers of GATE must take a certain number of hours of gifted education post graduate coursework and pass the gifted ed praxis, but every state is different.

I would suggest talking with your advisor at the university (if you plan to stay in that state) and go to your state's department of ed website (or call them) to find out what is required in your state.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4

Alabama
Old 09-28-2016, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You need a Masters in Gifted Education and pass the Praxis.
teacher4 is offline   Reply With Quote

justbeachy22

Old 09-29-2016, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Just as Mrs. Libit stated, every state has their own requirements, so you will need to find those out for which state you will be wanting to teach in. GATE certification is considered a supplemental certification. Once your schooling is finished, you can apply for a GATE certification, the application process varies by state again. GATE teachers are required to undergo ongoing professional development to maintain certification.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
justbeachy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
frmrgftdtch

frmrgftdtch

Check your desired teaching area first.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I used to teach self-contained (all subjects, only identified gifted students) GATE. In the pursuit of standardized test scores, no child left behind, and response to intervention, our district's former gifted program has been completely dismantled. The accepted response, according to our district, is that gifted students are served by differentiation in the regular classroom. With the constant push to get low-performing students at or above on standards, the prevailing attitude is that gifted students "will be fine on their own." The real truth is that some will and some won't. I have seen gifted students give up on school or become severe behavior problems because their intellectual sides were stifled. Additionally, gifted students need different social-emotional learning than their peers. They need to be taught about code-switching with different social groups, how to contain their ability to think about "what if", how to find meaningful work within whatever task is assigned, and a whole host of things that are unique to this population. We are short-changing these children, and thereby short-changing our future.

I think it's time to step down from my soap box, but, as you can probably tell, I was one of those students who became the unpaid teacher's aide, and who faced the derision of peers because the way my brain worked made me into an outsider.

All that to say- Before you go spending loads of money on a special certification, make sure there is a need for it in your area.