Help

Future Teachers

Lesson Planning

>

Ally93

Lesson Planning
Old 09-26-2016, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm really nervous about lesson planning. I always second guess myself, and think I'm not creative enough. This really effects my confidence, any suggestions to help?

Ally93 is offline   Reply With Quote

sball_17

Old 09-26-2016, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

One thing that helps me have confidence in my lesson plans, is having someone read over them and add their input. I usually ask one of my professors, or a fellow education major to look it over. This way they might have an idea of something that might work better. Also, they could notice something that does not make sense.
sball_17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally93

Old 09-26-2016, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is a good idea! I just worry that if I show another fellow education student that it will effect my academic integrity. I wouldn't want to look like I'm cheating or riding on the coat tails of someone else.
Ally93 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 09-26-2016, 06:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's great to be creative, but here's the deal: If I teach 3 preps a day, I write 180 x 3= 540 lesson plans a year. Some of them will be creative. Frankly, lots will not be all that creative. It's OK to write a plan that will work, that will teach the key ideas of a lesson, but that isn't creative.

It's not about being original either. I know when you are in school, academic integrity is important. But as a teacher, I'm going to use good ideas from wherever I can find them. I share my great ideas with other teachers, and I feel free to use ideas they share with me. After teaching for 40 years, I have a whole repertoire of ideas for any teaching any topic. That makes me a better teacher.
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

livluvteach

Follow an outline
Old 10-02-2016, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

One thing that really helps me is the follow a template or outline for what I should include in my lesson plan. As suggested by others, I would also have a professor look over it because they are more than willing to help. Many of them would even sit down with you to help write it out. They also may have samples for you to look at as a reference. I'm sure the teacher you are working with would also be willing to help you.

Also, have confidence in yourself! It's easy to get overwhelmed with writing it, but the main idea is to walk away from the lesson with your students learning something new or enjoying the lesson.

Good luck!

livluvteach is offline   Reply With Quote

FlyingColours

Old 10-02-2016, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I come up with a lesson, I think about the things I enjoyed as a kid (and still enjoy as an adult!) and try to work them into my lessons. Like, last year I taught a lesson to kindergartners about beginning sounds and used pictures from Shrek for one of the exercises (Dd = Donkey; Cc = Cat; Pp = Pigs; Ww = Wolf; I'd ask them which picture made the "Cc" sound and they'd have to point it out on the board (Wolf was supposed to be slightly tricky)) but the kids loved it. I don't think they expected their teacher to whip up something that they've watched and put it into a PowerPoint presentation (instead of the usually cute clip art options) and I think it really piqued their interest.

I'm with fourth graders this year and I'd love to teach a lesson about heredity and traits. I remember doing a project in my 6th grade genetics elective wherein we were given a list of traits we could have (freckles or no freckles for instance) and had to flip a coin to determine what the face of the person we were drawing would inherit. An artsy lesson like that isn't for everyone but I enjoyed it and I think my fourth graders would enjoy it/be capable of it even though I was in 6th grade when I did it.

And my final piece of advice is to dabble on the internet a bit. Look at youtube videos for ideas, go to Pinterest maybe, or search for lesson plans that have been done for topics you'd want to teach for ideas and you might have a sudden spark of inspiration.

Just remember what it was like when you were their age and try to remember how you felt when your teachers taught what you're planning to teach.

Hope that helps!
FlyingColours is offline   Reply With Quote

sball_17

Old 10-03-2016, 02:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do not think it would break academic integrity. My professor encourages us to discuss our lessons with each other. She wants us to help each other, because someone else might have an idea you didn't think of.
sball_17 is offline   Reply With Quote

VanGogh9

Old 10-03-2016, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

First of all don't be nervous. Trust me sometimes I worry if my lessons are going to be good enough. What I do when planning my lessons is think am I using all of the VAKT (Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic, Tactile), if so where am I inputing it. I then think are the students just going to be sitting in their seats or are they going to be moving around. Depending on the lesson you'll know what is best. Another thing is do not be afraid to talk to your peers. Ask for some input or ideas. Don't stress it too much as you do more lessons you'll get better. Best of luck!!
VanGogh9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Flowergirl02

Lesson Planning
Old 10-03-2016, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

When I plan lessons I try to reference my old lessons to get an idea of what I should include in the new lesson. Then I usually get someone to look over it to add any suggestions.
Flowergirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote

KND1

Lessons
Old 10-03-2016, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I start off with what I want the children to get out the lesson. Then I start looking at what the students like and how my students learn and . I start looking up things online and asking people how they delivered certain information. I include games and activities that include logical thinking but also brings out the certain qualities out of the children. Do not make everything so straight forward. Have the children move around. If you are teaching about money, set up a stores in the classroom and have student buy items with a certain amount of money. If you are learning about plays, have the students make their own scripts and act out a play. Just have fun!

KND1 is offline   Reply With Quote