Help

New Teachers

Middle School HELP!

>

teachmagnolia

Middle School HELP!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm a first year, middle school math teacher. I see that my students are activity engaged with my lessons, but I just want to take it up a notch to really make it stick to them and grab their attention. How can I make my lessons more interesting and fun while following CCSS?

teachmagnolia is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

math
Old 10-01-2016, 11:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What are you doing already with them? If they are actively engaged already, I think you're already winning!

Does your school have a policy about food? There are some fun lessons that are hands-on with food if it's allowed (wasn't at my school, but my MIL teaches HS math and she uses food sometimes).

Middle schoolers are social-so partner or group work when it makes sense. You can do a turn and talk type thing where you ask a question or present a problem, have the kids think/work/solve independently for a minute or two, then turn to a partner and talk with them for a minute, and then do a group or class share of solutions or answers. You can train them as to who their partner is (pre assign that desk A and B work together, C and D, etc otherwise you'll get kids moving all over trying to find the perfect partner for a 2 min activity)

Use technology when you can. You can make your own jeopardy games online if you have a smartboard and use that as a review. Divide the class in half and do a competition. Great for vocabulary review or answers they can come up with quickly.

Don't forget about some of the "little kid" type games that middle schoolers might still enjoy--like bingo, I Have Who Has, etc. You could put the answers on the bingo card and then you present a problem and they solve and mark their spot.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

kinderlake

Old 10-02-2016, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our awesome middle school math teacher had each class divided into 4 groups and they played a game (yellow ops) as a daily review. She only spent 4-5 minutes everyday or so, but the kids loved it! Each kid earned a point when they answered a question, and got awards for the most points each quarter. She differiented the questions based on the kids who were answering, so she didn't make kids feel horrible for not knowing the answers.

She was amazing, and the kids loved her. she also used her smart board and Elmo regularity and had the kids interact with the boards too. Walking into her room, you would see kids being engaged, but not rowdy or misbehaving.

I'm not sure what you are looking for, I would say as a first year teacher, you probably have your hands full with the curriculum and teaching strategies. I would say if the kids are engaged, you are being successful!
kinderlake is offline   Reply With Quote