Help

Future Teachers

Organizing HELP!

>

tweetybird130

Organizing HELP!
Old 09-27-2016, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm getting closer to becoming a teacher and I'm feeling super excited about it. I've worked with kids all my life so I'm very comfortable in the classroom. All of my mentors have said that I'm awesome with the children, but i need to be come more organized. What are some things I can do to maintain organization in my classroom for myself and future students?

tweetybird130 is offline   Reply With Quote

beyourowndog

Old 09-28-2016, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Giant desk calendar. I have one at home, and if I had an office at work I'd have one there, too. I am very forgetful so I have to write everything down. But I never miss anything, and am always prepared and way ahead of schedule. Get a big one, and write it out on paper so it stares you in the face all the time, much better than a calendar app on your phone.
beyourowndog is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 09-28-2016, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are lots of online ideas for Teacher Binders!
twin2 is online now   Reply With Quote

kerteach2

Old 10-01-2016, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have daily folders - when I have copies made they get clipped together and go right in that folder. I have next week already laid out and organized. If I find something new I just add it.
I also find that this shows me when I may have over planned for 1 day and maybe need to move something to the next day. I have binders too for units and some larger unit are actually in file boxes, but it keeps everything together in one place.
Calendars are great, but only as good as the writing that goes on it
Every year being orgaized is a my own personal demon
kerteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I have never found a system that works
Old 10-01-2016, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

every time so I change up a lot and try each new thing. So my advice is to listen to all of it and find what works for you personally.

For example, the "Teacher toolbox" for supplies did not work for me BUT I tried the over-the-door hanging shoe rack for supplies and found I liked it...

In my classroom, I have designated spots for most things--a turn in tray, a spot for charging tablets, a spot for the earphone baggies, a spot for specific items and have the students help with clean up and putting away each day. I also have certain places to put my stuff--papers, lesson plans, books, forms, etc.

I also color code as much as possible. Some years it is my subject, by day of the week, by student (I teach SpEd,) etc. --whatever fits my needs the best.

For most things too now, I keep a digital file on an external hard drive. I have binders and file cabinets of items that I rarely touch. Most things I can find online and it is much easier to print out individual pages and a copy them all at once than to flip through a book and copy that way.

whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

rbj1741

Old 10-02-2016, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Get a desk calendar and a personal planner and use them simultaneously! I have done this all throughout college and it has turned me into a super organized person! Classroom wise, having classroom mailboxes, file folders for absent work, and colored folders for different subjects or different days of the week are great for student-teacher organization as well and I have seen them work in grades 1 and 5 so they're great for all ages! Sticky notes and highlighters are some other small organizational tools to have as well!
rbj1741 is offline   Reply With Quote

Princesspink0

Old 10-03-2016, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My advice is to make sure you plan where everything is going to go before school even starts. Where specific textbooks are going to go, where the students will turn in assignments, and even have a plan how the students are going to organize their desks. Get folders to organize papers in your desk, either by day, by subject, or by topic. I agree with others, saying to have a calendar, and to have at least the week planned out, if not more. Have a routine that you want to have the students, and even yourself, go through everyday and stick to it. In your first year, just try and find what works for you and what does not work for you. Sometimes it is just as important to find out what does not work then that does work.
Princesspink0 is offline   Reply With Quote

H82

What I've Seen
Old 10-04-2016, 05:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Hi, I'm also a student teacher and I completely understand where you're coming from. It's really hard to keep everything together especially when you aren't in charge of the classroom yet. However, from what I've seen in my student teaching, here are a couple of my favorite organization methods:

- Have an "everything bin". This bin is for students to put all of their extra work that is not homework or classwork. This may include drawings or an extra scrap of paper that students may have used to do some math on. Students need to made aware of this bin and be sure that they do not put any homework or important other work in it. But once the students become familiar with it, they actually do very well with it. And it keeps the teacher from having a million papers on the floor or in the homework bin when they don't belong there.
- An accordion folder can be very beneficial to helping a student teacher organize her things. I have one and so do some other student teachers I know. It allows you to divide things in any way that works for you. I have tabs like "questions to ask", "forms to be submitted", "student work", and "my school work". this way I have all the papers I need divided up but still all in one place and ready to go.
I hope these help! Good luck!!
H82 is offline   Reply With Quote

tweetybird130

Old 10-04-2016, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thank you so much, I'm all about my planner and writing things on my white board, but I never considered a desk calendar!

tweetybird130

Old 10-04-2016, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

These are some great ideas!
The everything bin, does each child get their own bin or is this just a class collection??
Where can a find a large accordion folder, my school store sells one, but there's not many sections and it's rather small overall.

pausebutton

organization reduces stress
Old 10-04-2016, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

- planbook.com is great not only for lessons, but for keeping track of upcoming events
- the asana app is a lifesaver for planning to dos ahead of time and getting reminders.
- here is how I organize my classroom space: http://teachersagainststress.blogspo...l/Organization
pausebutton is offline   Reply With Quote

Star-Gazer

File folder
Old 11-12-2016, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

You will get a lot of paperwork that has to be completed and turned in. If at all possible complete the paperwork and turn it in before you leave the office. I had file folder numbered for each day of the month. This is where I would file any paperwork that could not be completed immediately. If I was supposed to turn a form in on the 10th I would file it in the file marked for he 8th. That way I would have two days to finish the form and get it turned in before it was late. I never put paperwork on my desk (I would lose it). I had a basket on my desk to put any forms that could not be filed immediately. I made sure to clean out the basket before I went home.
Star-Gazer is offline   Reply With Quote