Future Teachers

Alt Certification or M.A.T. Advise please

>

NekoMimi

Alt Certification or M.A.T. Advise please
Old 09-29-2016, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I neee advice!
I am currently a student, (career changer) graduating Fall 2018 in Special Education: interdisciplinary studies.
Unfortunately the degree is non-licensure and out of state. (Online regionally accredited program)
I have two options after graduation: state approved alternative certification through an educator prep institute (EPI) or obtaining a masters through the same school which is approved for licensing and endorsements in other states.
The pros and cons of each:
EPI: cost efficient, local, 7 months, competitive and entrance exam based. Certification not degree
MAT: requires three trips out of state for intensives and observation (one week in length each), expensive, no application to get in because it would be in the same university, must obtain endorsement after, but would have masters degree

Which option should i look into? It's intimidating but I am trying to plan ahead. Any advice is appreciated (forgive my typing errors I am on my phone)

Thanks!!!

NekoMimi is offline   Reply With Quote

whd507

Old 02-12-2017, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I couldn't do the M.A.T. program here, as it changed from nights to all days, and I need to sub every day to make ends meet. I went with ABCTE and hopefully am almost done with that.

but in your case the M.A.T. seems to make sense to me since you are already in place there.

Good luck, I wish I could pursue sped at this time, I really enjoy it
whd507 is offline   Reply With Quote