Help

Future Teachers

Future Classroom

>

justbeachy22

Future Classroom
Old 09-29-2016, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are at least 3 items that you would have in your future classroom and why? Specifically K-1 classroom.

justbeachy22 is offline   Reply With Quote

AKTeacher321

3 must have items
Old 10-02-2016, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1) Individual whiteboards- I would have individual whiteboards because they can be used as a way to assess students on what they learned during a lesson. They also can use them to do classwork on and sit anywhere in the classroom rather than just their seat.

2) Math manipulatives- These can be used for many different topics is math such as learning how to count, number identity, patterns/sorting, and problem solving. Students can use manipulatives to actually be able to see the problem. Almost any object can be used as a math manipulative but my favorites are counting bears, buttons, and colored shapes/cubes.

3) Class rules- As a class I would have the students create the class rules. I would have the students create the rules so they know what is expected of them in school. If students can create the rules they may respect the rules more. Plus, the students enjoy contributing to helping so them creating the rules lets them feel in charge.
AKTeacher321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Flowergirl02

3 Items
Old 10-03-2016, 07:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Library- I would try to make a little classroom library with a variety of different books that are at the reading level of the class or that would be easy enough for them to read and a lot of picture books since they will be K or 1st graders.

Museum of student work- This would be a wall that's dedicated to displaying the students' completed work. It would help give the students a feeling of accomplishment and show them how impressed you are with their work.

Lots of coloring materials- Kids in this age group love to color whenever they have an opportunity to, so it would be a great idea to make sure you have enough supplies that the students can color freely and not cause too much conflict.

I hope this was helpful for you
Flowergirl02 is offline   Reply With Quote

sball_17

Old 10-03-2016, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1. I would have math manipulatives in my classroom, because they can really help middle school students learn the concepts behind math problems.

2. I would have a bin with extra pencils and school supplies for students to use in case they do not have one. I do not want students to not be able to learn because they do not have the materials.

3. I would have areas in the classroom that are set up for group work and collaboration. Either desks arranged together, or open areas on the floor. I think students can learn a lot by working together.
sball_17 is offline   Reply With Quote

bnp1234

Old 10-03-2016, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Three Items I would have in a K-1 classroom would be:

1) I would have a weather chart where the students can come up and show the rest of the class what it looks like outside.

2) I would have yoga mats in my class, because I would want to start off the morning with yoga to help them relax and do it throughout the day when they need a brain break!

3) I would love to have calming bottles for my class. They're big liter bottles of water filled with glitter and when shaken up, they're very cool to watch! Even young kids tend to get anxious so it would be very good for them to have a tool that they can use to help calm down and relax. It could be an activity where we can all make it together during the first week of school!

bnp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Betty4567

1st grade teacher--about 10 years..
Old 10-04-2016, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our school has this huge closet with manipulatives. I did not know that my first year there!! Ask for manipulatives for math and reading.

1) Pocket chart for a calendar. Be on the lookout for Lakeshore's buy one get one half off coupons.

2) tubs (from the dollar store.) I watch a lot of youtube videos on how other teachers use them around their rooms.

3) Pocket charts from target!!!!! before school starts, they put out really inexpensive pocket charts--buy several.

My advise is to hold off on buying books and invest on the classroom organization.

Best of luck!!!

Edit: You will really need a good pencil sharpener. Don't skimp and buy a cheap one. Look for a heavy duty one
Betty4567 is offline   Reply With Quote

musiclover08

Too many choices! :)
Old 10-05-2016, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I recently answered this question for one of my professors! It's hard to narrow it down, but these are probably my top three things I would have in my K-1 class:
~Math manipulatives: I feel like these are SO important! Especially for little ones because they are more hands-on and visual learners. I'm student teaching in a Kindergarten class right now and my students love the shapes, Digi blocks, rekenreks, and little counting teddy bears!
~Play Kitchen along with anything else for centers: I love having centers as part of the daily routine! My past two Kindergarten mentor teachers both cut out 30 minutes for the students to have centers and play! Some of the centers I've seen are dress up, construction, exploration/science, and art. I think this is a great way for students to unwind and just be kids in school! They're so little at this age, and focusing on academics most of the day is important, but they can only sit for so long. Besides, they can learn SO MUCH through play! It's amazing to see the results of what important life skills they learn through playing.
~Student artwork: Displaying student artwork inside as well as outside the classroom is always something I want to have up. Not only does it show other teachers and parents what the students are doing/ learning about in the classroom, but I think it is an incredible self-confidence booster for the little ones. It shows their accomplishment and it gives them a reason to be proud and keep trying!
Hopefully you will find some new ideas through this!
musiclover08 is offline   Reply With Quote