Help

Gifted Education

Extension Activities

>

sd11

Extension Activities
Old 09-29-2016, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I currently have an internship, as part of my school requirements, in a Kindergarten class. I'm starting to gain more responsibilities in the classroom, which is awesome. Next week, I will be teaching my first lesson which I will need to turn into my school professor. My professor wants me to include extension activities, for those gifted children who tend to finish early.

The teacher I work with usually tells them to color on the back of their paper, however my professor would like me to create some more meaningful extensions. I totally agree with this--but I am wondering if anyone has some fun ideas. They work in small groups, so it has to be a quiet activity so distractions are kept to a minimum.
Thanks!

sd11 is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Old 09-29-2016, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The answer to this really depends on what the kindergarten children already know and are capable of doing, especially independently. Is this a math lesson or reading or something else? Ideally the activity would have something to do with the lesson and just build on the learning in a new or more challenging way.
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote

sd11

Old 10-06-2016, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The first lesson I will be doing is in Language Arts. Students will be working on the "Hard 'C' sound". If they finish early, I plan to have them look around the room and identify an item (or several) that starts with this sound. I think this helps them to build on the concept, like you mentioned, and my mentor teacher likes this idea, too; however, if you, or anyone else on Pro Teacher, have other suggestions please share!
Thanks!
sd11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.Lilbit

Old 10-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think you are on the right track with having them find something in the room that begins with the letter you are learning. Another extension could be to have them draw a picture of the object and write something about their picture. This is something that can be differentiated for all levels. Some children may just scribble; others will only be a able to write the letter c. Some will use invented spelling to try to write the word (or can copy the word, if you have objects labeled in the classroom). Others will try to write one or more sentences about their picture. This kind of activity is good for gauging where the students are developmentally, and you can use these kinds of activities to document growth over time.
Mrs.Lilbit is offline   Reply With Quote