Help

New Teachers

Getting Real

>

Madaly320

Getting Real
Old 10-03-2016, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

SO for several months, I have worked at a school for severe/profound disabilities. I thought I would love it, but I really missed public school. I have learned a lot but the setting is different and I don't have enough time to get into why this position didn't make me feel like a real teacher...

I got a job in a public school which I am considering my first REAL teaching job. I start next week and I could not be more nervous.

I am struck with sudden feelings of "oh my god I can't do this" and "I am not smart enough to do this job, I am a huge fraud"

I will be teaching 3-5 grade ASD and I have experience in this setting. I am very excited about it but also just feel so...self conscious and like I am second guessing myself, underestimating myself.

I really need some words of wisdom. Please tell me other new teachers feel like this. Is this normal? I did not do student teaching, I am going to be doing that part of my coursework while I am working, so I never got that benefit of learning from a seasoned teacher. I Can't afford to not work for a whole semester. So this is it! Baptism by fire!

any help, pointers, advice would be appreciated!!

Madaly320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Theresald1

Hi Madaly
Old 10-05-2016, 12:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Aw, you sound like me! I'm a second year teacher who only worked half of her first school year due to getting "promoted" to Administration (It was a joke). I teach grades 6 and 7 ELA in a large Catholic school. I love it but am thinking I might lose my mind every night - I'm so busy! I totally resonate with your saying "I'm a fraud" as I say that to my husband all the time.
Did you have training to get your teaching accreditation? If you had done student teaching you might be a bit more confident. Do you have a mentor? Can you talk with him/her about the stress you're experiencing, and for reassurance? My mentor is so low-key - she's a good balance to my hyperness! What is ASD?
Good luck to you you will be FINE. Keep showing up every day - that's half of the battle!
Theresald1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Madaly320

Old 10-05-2016, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi and thank you!

ASD=Autism Spectrum Disorders
I am not going through student teaching, I am going to waive it because I have a job..I still have to basically pay the college for the course and they will come and observe me, etc. but at least I will be working and getting paid. I will be 40 this Feb and just can't afford to take time off from working in order to do the actual student teaching.

I am in a Master's program for SPED and I actually am not licensed yet. The school hired me on a waiver. Prior to my current job (last day was today) I was a Behavior therapist in an ASD classroom, so while I have experience with the kids, their behaviors, programs and even IEP implementation and goal writing, I am still new at this whole teacher thing. I am really actually struggling with being a supervisor to adults. I can really do without that part lol.
Madaly320 is offline   Reply With Quote