Picture Books for Compare and Contrast - ProTeacher Community

mrjb1203

Picture Books for Compare and Contrast
Old 09-10-2007, 05:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, I want to introduce the strategy to compare and contrast characters because our basal has the story Frog and Toad in it. I would like to model how to use a venn diagram before the story. Does anyone have any suggestions for any good picture books with characters that I could compare during my read aloud.

mrjb1203 is offline   Reply With Quote

pinkjuice

Old 09-10-2007, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Any fairy tale, really!

Or brother-sister tales. Such as My Rotten Red Headed Older Brother by Patricia Polacco.

You could even compare/contrast other topics - perhaps types of communities, first grade v. second grade etc.

Good luck!
pinkjuice is offline   Reply With Quote

ArizonaPepe

Old 09-10-2007, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We also are reading Frog and Toad this week. I did the compare and contrast last week with Henry and Mudge. We brainstormed on the board how Henry and Mudge were alike and how they were different. We did 2-3 for each. Next the students had their own compare and contrast work sheet which they copied ideas from the board and then added their own using the book. From there they wrote their paragraph. They were so good that I put them together into a bullitan board in the hall! Good luck!
ArizonaPepe is offline   Reply With Quote

clkelley

Venn
Old 09-10-2007, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Two Good Friends by Judy Delton has two animals characters that can be compared and contrasted using a Venn. One is a messy bear who cooks and the other is a clean-freak duck who likes housecleaning. It's cute.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote

mjher

Old 09-11-2007, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I didn't use a book, I gave them an interview page and they had to ask their elbow partner the questions. They wrote the answers down and then they did a venn diagram comparing themselves to their partners. I used myself and their first grade teacher to model how to do it. They got the concept.

mjher is offline   Reply With Quote
champagne

champagne

Compare.contrast
Old 09-12-2007, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Last year I tried Miss Nelson Is Missing with a Venn diagram, comparing Viola Swamp and Miss Nelson and the kids seemed to get it pretty well.