Need advice please, Teaching Abroad

>

Travel000

Travel000

Need advice please, Teaching Abroad
Old 10-16-2016, 07:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi
I'm currently debating if I want to continue being a teacher or not. I have struggled with classroom management and feel like I have never truly mastered it. I work with young students some with behavioral issues. I don't know if older students or a different school would better suit my personality. I like kids that is the main reason I wanted to be a teacher but I honestly don't see myself enjoying managing a large group
of children but maybe if I was better at managing it wouldn't seem so hard. I have had been thinking about teaching abroad for a while but in the last few months have thought seriously about it. I researched it and there are smaller class sizes with under 12 children. I have tutored before and enjoy working with smaller groups. Part of me is saying just do it but then I doubt myself with classroom management and don't want to
set myself up for failure.

Any other job suggestions that work with children but not in a large group? I have thought about occupational therapy and ESOL teacher who works with children in small groups. Any advice would be appreciated :-) I'm still young and trying to figure out what to do with my life.

Catielissy

Old 10-17-2016, 07:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How long have you been teaching? For some people, classroom management is a skill that develops over time when you find out what works and what doesn't. There are a lot of resources online to help you develop more skills for classroom management. Everyone has weaknesses in their jobs so don't be too hard on yourself. I was a classroom teacher for 6 years and am now a resource teacher. Now I only work with no more than 5 students at at time. Even in small groups you need to have good management because sometimes they think that their classroom rules don't apply. I still need to be firm and consistent in order to make it work. Teaching abroad sounds very interesting and I think that is great that you are looking into that. First, I would try to build on your management skills then once you feel more comfortable you can pursue either a different certification or job. Some of my favorite resources are Response Classroom (logical consequences, etc.), and Whole Brain Teaching (has some interesting strategies). Good luck!
Catielissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Travel000

Travel000

Travel000 Reply
Old 10-17-2016, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is my 3rd year being a para in preschool. I feel like I get a good idea of what it is like to be the teacher because your very involved in this position. I will check out the resources. Do you have any tips for dealing with challenging students? Thanks for the advice!