Title 1 Reading Advice

>

Teach2Teach21

Teach2Teach21

Title 1 Reading Advice
Old 10-17-2016, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning!

I'm working as a 7th and 8th grade Title 1 reading tutor and could use some advice. We use the LLI (Leveled Literacy Program). Basically, each day looks the same. We read, discuss, do a word study and then every other day do some writing. It was fine at first, but the repetitiveness has really started to set in and the kids are no longer engaged and I can't fault them. Not all of the books are of high interest. The program coordinator has made it clear this is what she wants me to do, but I think I need to break up the monopoly one or two days a week.

I've introduced a paired reading activity we will do one day a week, as well as a comprehensive card game. Does anyone else have any ideas? I just know this is becoming torture for these kids and it's already so difficult convincing middle school kids Title 1 is fun lol

I've thought about a read aloud, but I've never taught middle school so I don't know if the kids would be into that.

cabernet

Old 10-18-2016, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

As long as you can keep the fidelity of LLI for progress monitoring,I would definitely break it up. Middle school students get bored easily and you need to keep their interest to make gains. I like the paired reading and comprehensive card game ideas. Students at this age need main idea and detail work, especially for informational text. Teachers pay teachers has several task cards and practice passages for free that would help.
Also remember to check out unseen's task cards for more ideas.
http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...4&d=1428903161
cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote

rallsco

Old 10-19-2016, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I currently teach only up to 5th grade, but even they can get the middle-school mindset sometimes. Adding in some cooperative learning structures while still covering the basic components of your lessons can up the engagement. During discussion and word study you might try something like jot notes, fan and pick, four corners, or rally robin. A quick search can give you some how-to's on the cooperative learning structures.

Another thing I do with 5th graders that may sound completely boring, but they have gotten into, is doing a dictated sentence. I'm trying to get them in the habit of using their spelling resource card and referring back to words in the text in order to improve their written responses. I dictate a sentence that uses several words they have on their reference card or in the text we've read. They write it and give it to me as an exit slip. We start class the next day by checking their sentences on the ELMO document camera or with a partner. The class scores a point for each completely correct sentence. They get little tokens (that for some reason they like collecting) for correct responses.
rallsco is offline   Reply With Quote