Help

Future Teachers

High Anxiety

>

Bastille1966

High Anxiety
Old 10-24-2016, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Due to my experiences trying to get a teaching job, I am interested in starting as an internationalist, or ESL teacher before getting my own classroom as I want to build my confidence. I don't think that I am ready to jump in and teach my own classroom just yet.

I am a very recent graduate with my Bachelor's in elementary and have a brand new teaching license. My problem is that I am having difficulty with my feelings of reservation about the experience of a first year teacher based on what I have seen and what I have read-and this may be affecting my ability to get my first teaching job.

I know that I should just 'jump in' but what if I fail-and most importantly fail the students. I would love to work as an interventionist and have looked at the job boards at my local school district, but I could not find those positions.

I feel like I am a unique case because when talking to people who volunteer or work as a tutor as I have done, you never hear about people who ran into the roadblocks after graduation such as self doubt and difficulty getting started.

Hopefully, someone has some helpful advice for someone in my situation.

Bastille1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 10-25-2016, 02:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The first year of teaching is tough! Think of it as a huge challenge...the toughest job you'll ever love. (At least that was my experience...but my first year of teaching was when I was in the Peace Corps!)

There are ways to ease yourself into a teaching career.

-You could substitute teach for awhile.
-You could take a long term sub position for a teacher who needs to take a maternity or health leave.
-You could look for a job as a para.
-You join the Peace Corps and get a fun international experience. The teaching part of Peace Corps (if you teach) is likely to be less stressful than in a US school. Teachers are often more respected and less micromanaged in other countries.

The actual fact is that first year teaching is challenging--very challenging. I'm not going to lie. But, if you do your best, you will survive. Second year is a little easier. Third year is a lot easier. You will get more comfortable each year (although I had the "teaching naked" dream every single September for forty years.)

Reality is that no matter how rough your first year of teaching is, you will not permanently damage the kids if you are doing your best. They will have lots of teachers in their lives. Some will be great. Some will be awful. Most will be acceptably good. The kids will learn to read, write, and do arithmetic somehow. They will graduate from high school. They will become respectable adults. And by then, you will be a veteran teacher!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Betty4567

Old 12-09-2016, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hi,
I was too na´ve to be nervous . I've been teaching for over 10 years and I've never done it alone!!

We have a math and reading academic coach. (They meet with our grade level every week and give us tons of resources. They also come into our classroom and help with small groups. )

We have a testing strategist that keeps us on track with all the state, district, and campus testing.

Special Ed. paper work/students made me nervous, but we have excellent admin that help us out.

The best part is that you will have a grade level to help you out. In our grade level, each teacher plans for one subject and then we share the resources. The district writes our tests and lesson plans!!!!

We also eat lunch together daily and help each other keep track of everything that is due.

I teach 1st and get to have a teacher aide for our reading block (120 minutes.) --It's heaven!!!

I would you advise to dive right in!! Do your research on the district and check to see what support you will get. I'm a dual language, ESL and GT certified teacher in a very low SES school. It's tough because we are under lots of pressure to show progress.

It shows that you are going to be a great teacher because you want to give them your best.
Betty4567 is offline   Reply With Quote

Betty4567

You will not be alone!
Old 12-09-2016, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

double post

Last edited by Betty4567; 12-09-2016 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: double post....
Betty4567 is offline   Reply With Quote

SpeedLimit62

Old 01-22-2017, 09:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think being an interventionist usually requires some experience as a classroom teacher. At least at my school it does. I think subbing or being a classroom aide would be great experience to help you feel more confident before you have your own class.

The jobs are usually a little easier to get, too. When I did student teaching for SPED, there were several young girls who were trying really hard to get full time teaching positions. They all were classroom aides.. I don't know why they never looked to other schools .. but they were getting lots of experience doing classroom aide positions.

SpeedLimit62 is offline   Reply With Quote